Catalina Visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are the water temps right now? We're coming next weekend. I'm finally going to have my rysuit class. (hubby teaching)
Glad to herar the vis was good. Hope it holds.

A wind storm dropped vis late Fri and Sat although it was reasonably good in the shallows (above 30 ft), but Sun and Mon were great (50-60 ft in some parts of the dive park and even 30 or so in the training area). Temps from about 64 surface to 57 at 100 ft.

We had 20ft milky viz all day yesterday from Goat to Empire.

True. Inside the "kelp line" and on the rocks it was very nice. Good excuse to stay in the shallows and make longer dives.

On the second dive, I took Natalie and the other diver out to deeper water. At 60-ft depth, the viz turned bad really quick, I think we were down to a generous 10-ft horizontal viz and I really meant "generous". Got to around 70-80ft but idn't see squat except the elk horn kelps and a couple of sea hares making whoopie. Turned back and got to the shallow to enjoy the great viz.

You may not have seen it but your last diver (not Natalie) was roto-tilling his way out there. That did not help the viz.

And a great job getting Natalie to go back out. You were the perfect buddy for that dive, as was your advise for her about her camera.

Is it possible you encountered a bat-ray fiesta? One time I was diving with Dr. Bill and all of a sudden the vis dropped down to practically zero - turns out there was a bat ray feeding frenzy going on, and they were stirring up the bottom so bad it was almost a total black-out.

Hard to believe one roto-tilling diver could have caused the general vis to drop that bad. (Although that certainly doesn't help!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom