Catalina vs Hy-Mark Pony Bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I am planning to buy a 13 cu ft pony bottle. An on-line store has both "Hy-Mark Pony Bottle Tanks, Yellow with Harrison Valve" and "Catalina Pony Bottle Tanks, Yellow with Genesis Pro Valve" in stock. There is about a $20 price difference between the two.

Can anyone comment as to which tanks or valves might be better?

Cheers

The tanks are essentially equal quality but you can get the HyMark in the natural heat treated finish which I personally prefer.

You sure the 13 is big enough? A 19 is not much more bulk for the added air.

You sure the 13 is big enough? A 19 is not much more bulk for the added air.

13 is the minimum recommended by NAUI for deep dives. I thought that I wanted a 19, but my LDS only had a 13 available for rental. I found the extra bulk of the 13 such that I did not think that I would get a 19. In the comfort vs safety trade off, I am opting for some comfort (13 rather than 19) and some safety (13 rather than zero).

In an ideal word I would be diving doubles. However, in a word where I travel about with my own dive gear, I am not going to haul around doubles. In a world where I get paired up with dive buddies who are usually great (but sometimes not very great), an extra 13 is a good idea.

just keep in mind that diving in Alberta you would most likely be finding your bottle having 10-20 % less of gas due to the cold water. so you will be getting closer to 10-11 cuf. If I were you I would consider going with 19 cuf at least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom