Catalina wild fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was out on the King Neptune all day yesterday and editing the footage, so I'm just logging onto SB.

Three fires were started by lightning. The largest is in the Empire Landing area (where residents were evacuated but are back now), Bulrush Canyon near Middle Ranch and somewhere in the Two Harbors area if my source was correct. Area estimates have been downgraded based on what I heard a few hours ago... about 800 acres affected. Both significant fires are pretty much contained from what I've heard.

We could see the Empire Landing fire from the King Neptune as we pased the area going to and from Bird Rock. There was an active front high in the canyon near the road going out from Empire Landing towards the Airport-in-the-Sky, as well as a few hotspots in the adjoining canyon.

The lightning storm was insane! One of my dive buddies and her husband were out celebrating their 1st wedding anniversary. We had a nice dinner on Anbtonio's patio with a refreshing cool breeze, then went to Lloyds for coffee. While there the lightning began and the temperature increased about 10-15 degrees despite darkness, and the sky grew orange. Having grown up in the Midwest, I thought we were due for a tornado! It was oppressive. Last time I remember anything like this was Sept 1990 when the temp reached an all-time high of 109 on the Pleasure Pier and 113 back in Avalon Canyon by the Botanic Gardens and Wrigley Memorial.

People in town were beginning to wonder if it was the end of the world (after all, look what is happening in the Middle East) or "just" Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" fulfilling itself.

I was on a mooring and wondered it it wasn't the end of the world. We even powered up the engine in the event the mooring dragged or another boat broke lose. Then in a span of 2 minutes, the temperature dropped the same 10 to 15 degrees. I've never seen this before.

We were on the Explorer Sat. night anchored at Anacapa & saw the lightening in the direction of Catalina.

Happy Diving
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom