Cattle Boat, what does that mean to you?

What maketh a Cattle Boat?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I generally think of the term in relation to the number of people although I'd definitely stay attitude and offering matters. A dive-only boat that has more than a few people could feel nothing like a "cattle boat" if the DMs are sharp and the attitude is both fun and dive-focused. On the other hand, a boat with just a dozen or so people that's mixing snorkelers and divers, is too small or just has a lazy attitude is more likely to feel like it's all about "hearding" me around.

That said, I think there's a time and a place to use just this sort of boat. If the price is right, the goal isn't to be aggressive or the crowd is mixed you can find some good benefits to larger boats (not ones with bad attitudes). Proper restrooms, more space to lounge out, often better food selections... all perks for the right situation that the right larger boat might just offer. I've had some good times on larger boats in Hawaii and while they wouldn't fit every diver they were fine for my needs and despite having large numbers, didn't feel all that cattle like.

Back
Top Bottom