Cause of high consumption rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When an OP asks whether his dry suit can be the cause for his increased SAC,

Then let me make it clear for you, the answer is yes.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you and the OP.

N

anyone who has ever dived in a wetsuit off a speed boat would know that the evaporative cooling that takes place after a dive when the boat is heading back to shore, will make most divers huddle down on the floor and their teeth chatter. Even in ambient air temps of 35 deg C and water temperatures of 30 dec C or more.
Ah, the SIs. IMO the best reason ever to dive dry. A wetsuit or semidry may very well keep you adequately warm below the surface, but after the dive? Man, oh, man! Even in nice, warm summer temperatures, it doesn't take much of a breeze to make you feel cold when you're wet and a just a tiny bit on the chilly side of "toasty". I'll freely admit, though, that the time from you've suited up until you've donned the gear and splashed can be a b*tch if the temperature is above 25C and the sun is shining...

And regarding SIs, if it's a little chilly and there's wind, it's a good idea to inflate your suit a bit before disconnecting the suit hose. I usually do that if I'm not planning on doffing the suit immediately. I don't quite look like waterpirate's picture further up in this thread, but it's not a big difference...

Now back to the hijack:
Removing your BCD/BP-W during entanglement
One hose to disconnect. How difficult is that?

It's not good when you quickly need to stop someone from rocketing to the surface as the suit does not dump fast enough
If you're using the suit for buoyancy control (as I was taught when I took my OW cert in a DS), I'll agree. However, only beginners should do that; you're supposed to use the BCD for buoyancy control in a DS as well. And at least the last time I checked, a BCD didn't dump noticeably slower if the wearer was using a DS.

drag factor
Trilam, maybe. Neoprene, not so much. I b*tch almost as much when I'm donning or doffing my neoprene DS as if I were donning or doffing a WS. And I look just as much like Shamu, slick and rounded all over. The only drag-inducing difference between my neoprene DS and a 7mm wet or semidry is the two valves, one on my chest and one on my left upper arm.

it adds to task-loading during OOA and recoveries
It does? I've never noticed.

becomes potential failure point (flooding/ malfunctioning valves or LPI).
This is a skill, now? :shakehead:

---------- Post added December 24th, 2013 at 10:55 AM ----------

Then let me make it clear for you, the answer is yes.
It is? It couldn't be just that the gear was unfamiliar, as others have suggested?

FTR, I regularly log my SAC, since I have an AI computer. This year I've dived both a 5mm WS and my DS. Curiously enough, the SAC rate was almost the same. Stress and activity levels have significant impact on my SAC rate, while there was no noticeable difference when I changed the exposure protection.

(anecdote /= data etc., sure, but the only hard numbers I have avaliable on are my own logged SAC numbers...)

Once I went dry I never went back, ever. The only thing that changes for me is undergarments and weights. Quarry in early spring, fla. in summer, or local, still dry. I would once again gently suggest the OP get off the keyboard and get in the water, and this will all sort itself out.
Eric

My best comparison is diving doubles, especially in caves. When I dive doubles with a dry suit, I am usually wearing Steel LP 108s. When I dive doubles with a wet suit, it is with AL 80s. Of course there are variables, especially with flow in caves, but my SAC rate with a wet suit and AL 80s is much better than with a dry suit and LP 108s. (Yes, I do realize that the different tanks factor into it.)

anyone who has ever dived in a wetsuit off a speed boat would know that the evaporative cooling that takes place after a dive when the boat is heading back to shore, will make most divers huddle down on the floor and their teeth chatter. Even in ambient air temps of 35 deg C and water temperatures of 30 dec C or more.
This has got kinda off topic so back to the real question.Why not just do A single dive in wetsuit again.You getting a bit cool one time knowing your drysuit is topside really won't hurt you but it will clearly decide if the drysuit is or isn't YOUR problem with air use.
From there you can make decisions as to what you want to do to solve the problem.
One simple solution probably already mentioned is to go to a bigger steel tank.
The other is that if your only issue is getting cold topside then take measures to prevent it. A warm jacket or a poncho towel maybee.

I have the oposite problem when it comes to temps but even so I still have a thermal vest in my gearbag -I use it towards the end of a dive trip -a few days of 3=-4 dives a day and I start to feel a bit chilled in my steamer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom