Cave Dive? Are You Ready For It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just havent seen anything in caves to interest me.
I've seen enough pics from caves - and talked with enough cave divers - to understand the fascination. I really do.

It still scares the bejeezus out of me and just the thought of being way into a cave with no direct access to the surface gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies, so I've decided to pass. Besides, I'm not dedicated enough - or, alternatively, don't want to allocate the time required to become qualified - to regard cave diving as an option.

Doesn't mean I don't understand the fascination, though.

One of the most challenging specialties in Scuba doesn't involve the Ocean.

It involves what's underground.

Every year, divers take up training for certification to be able to explore caves and caverns underwater. The ones who do this regularly find it rewarding and exhilarating, and can't wait for their next foray underwater--and underground.

Learn more at
THE COOLEST CAVE DIVES IN THE WORLD.

Cave agencies typically discourage promoting cave diving...

I know you're a cave diver and are far more aware of what's going on than me, but from what I gather, that attitude is changing. There was a major article in Scuba Diving magazine a few months ago, explaining what it takes in terms of training and what the rewards can be. Of the cave divers interviewed, the only name I recognized was Jill Heinerth, and she spoke passionately about what it's like to cave dive. Maybe the agencies themselves are still reluctant to do much promotion--I don't know. It sure seems like it's no longer taboo to encourage people to look into it.

Maybe the agencies themselves are still reluctant to do much promotion--I don't know. It sure seems like it's no longer taboo to encourage people to look into it.

Plus, how would you get new people training for cave and cavern diving if they weren't encouraged to at least look into it? In fact, Jill Heinerth is doing some talks at the Lone Star State Dive and Travel Show with the topic both days this weekend. She doesn't seem to be someone that's discouraging that aspect of Scuba.

Plus, how would you get new people training for cave and cavern diving if they weren't encouraged to at least look into it? In fact, Jill Heinerth is doing some talks at the Lone Star State Dive and Travel Show with the topic both days this weekend. She doesn't seem to be someone that's discouraging that aspect of Scuba.

People are not discouraged from looking into cave diving or speaking about their passion for it, cave diving is not Fight Club. The thought process is essentially that those with interest will seek it out.

Cave diving should not be promoted as a fun adventure for casual divers. It requires a high level of skill, discipline, and training and can be extremely dangerous for those without. It's deceptively easy til something goes wrong, and eventually it will.

Last edited:
Reactions: oya
Jack is correct. Some have rules against it for instructors. If you look at the web sites of their instructors, you will not see language encouraging you to get into cave diving. What you will see is language along the lines of "If you have decided that cave diving might be in your future..."

It's a fine line. People like Jill Heinerth make their living in large part through cave diving, and as someone who publishes books about it and who sells her photographs and videos, she has to have some latitude to talk about her job. If you are a cave diving professional, you have to be able to advertise your existence, and simply advertising your existence is to some degree promoting cave diving. I don't see how it can be completely avoided.

I see the same thing. As a cave diver, I talk about quite often and I have a passion for cave diving. I do not push it on anyone but, I would like others to see what we see often. Most people on the face of the earth will never get the chance to see what we do but we do video it and they can enjoy it. I have yet to see an instructor try an seek out students. As for it being boring, I have never seen anyone who thought it was boring hovering in front of the clay bank in Cow. I have seen it several times but I still stand in awe. Cave diving is not for everyone and I have just as many great times at 30 feet reef diving.

Back
Top Bottom