Cave guides in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished a week of cave diving with Aquanauts out of Puerto Adventuras near Playa Del Carmen. Martin was my guide and he was fantastic. He picked me up at my hotel every morning and dropped me off after. On a previous trip he picked my friend up from the ferry terminal, so I know they get clientele from Coz. I would recommend at least a 5mm full. The water temp is around 79 degrees, but since the dives are shallow, your bottom times are long. I'm about average for air consumption (although I was fighting a cold) and our runtimes were a minimum of 100 minutes per dive. They provided a hearty sandwich for the surface interval, and then back in the water again. Beautiful caves! Just outstanding formations! Martin, and the owner Dennis ( a nice Canadian lad) were great to me. They're an authorized Dive Rite dealer, so all of their equipment was top notch and fairly new (allowing me to try out the newest LED). And they service their equipment. That was one of my pet peeves from diving in the Bahamas. Top notch operation there, but all their tanks leaked because they wouldn't replace the nickel o-rings. Don't have to worry about that here. And that's perfect. If I'm going to be 1500 yards into a cave, I want to know that the equipment is going to function properly. As far as cost, I paid about $175 a day, and that included pick up and transportation to the cenote, tanks, entrance fees, lunch and two dives. Add a tip, and I still thought it was a good deal, especially for 3 hours of bottom time in the most beautiful caves I've ever seen.

Try these guys also:
Yucatek Divers, Playa del Carmen

I dove with them last year, talk to Stefan... VERY good. I have never really dove a cave or cenote and thought this was awesome. We did Dos Ojos and the Bat Caves. After doing these I was ready for more, something even more challenging. I think if you are experienced in cave or cenote diving these 2 would not good ones to do... but great for someone like me who had not really dove any "real" overhead environments.

I finished my Full Cave class with German a couple of years ago. We did Aerolito (Sp?) 4 times. Actually did 2 full circuit dives on this cave. We did two other caves and I would not be able to tell you where they were. Only German and few of his assitants know where they are. I just remember standing in the middle of the road, wal;king through the junlge for about 10 -15 miutes and then sinking into a mud puddle. There was barely enough rom for German and I to stand and do our saftety checks on the surface. The visibility was not as good as the mainland, but it was stiil pretty awesome. One of the dives we did was in the Halocline 80% of the dive. We also made a dive where he was trying to collect a special fish that was all the way in the cave. He was wearing a device that analyzed the water in the caves.

I hope you have a chance to hook up with him. If there is ever a "Norte" on the island, I am alays glad that I am cave certified because I can hop into on of the caves and still get some bubble time in Cozumel.

Jim

I don't know about the caves on Cozumel, but the ones on the mainland are about 75 degrees. I did my cavern/Intro class in a 5 mil suit with a 2 mil hooded vest, and I was completely comfortable for three hours in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom