cavern cert story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xScubaStephx

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, this weekend, i took my NACD cavern course with Paul Heinerth. By the way, he is one of the nicest people i have ever met in my life. You can get along with him so great, and he doesnt stress you out at all. He is by far a wonderful man. I would deff suggest having him certify you in cavern (or full cave, which my Dad just got with him also this weekend, and he said he was great.) Me and my dad stayed at them cabin/trailer things at Dive Outpost in Luraville. (by Peacock) We first went to Orange Grove. We did our s-drils, and i practiced running lines in open water, and practiced eyes closed following the reel. I had such a hard time trimming, because my BC, was too loose, and the tank i had that day, was heavier than i usually use, so i was pretty mad... not to mention embarassed the poor job i was doing, plus i was wondering what was wrong with me... The second dive, another guy who was in the class,(there was 2 other people a guy and a girl, both couples) ran the reel, and we followed and explored the cavern. The only thing i didnt like about the dive was getting covered in duck weed comming back up. haha. I dont know maybe its a girl thing! :)
The next dive we did was Peacock 1.
People were warning us that the vis wasnt up to par. My dad switched tanks and tightened me up, and i did 100% better... Peacock did have HORRIBLE vis, but we still went down, and the other woman ran lines. We had to buddy breathe on the line, and then take off our mask and follow the line. Let me tell you... i was SOO scared, because taking off my mask, is something i wasnt to comfortable with doing... and when it came my turn to take it off, i wasnt sure if i could. So i just thought about why i was so scared... and its because i dont want water to go up my nose, and then me freak out. But everyone was watching me, and i knew i had to do it, so i just took it off, and pinched my nose. It wasnt bad at all. Then after i was done i put on my mask and cleared it... and i was sooo proud of myself!!
We surfaced, and went over some material in the book. Haha this guy in the class bragged that he had read the book cover to cover twice. But yet i found it funny how he asked which way a line arrow pointed!! Haha... think he really read it?? :)
We went out to eat in Mayo, Talked to other divers at the dive shop, and then went back to our room.
Woke up the next morning and went to breakfast, and then drove to Madison Blue. We suited up and then i had to run the reel. We did lights out comming out on the line... and left the reel there, surfaced and then ate some lunch. After that, we went back down and made a fun dive... We went in through bunny hole, swam around, and then i reeled back up the reel, and then the cavern course was finished!! I had so much fun, and Paul made me and everyone else feel so comfortable :)

The only problem i had, was, my nose was stuffy, and when i would surface, i would feel popping under my eyes, and squeezing, then some pressure. About 30 mins after i surfaced, i got a bad ear ache in my left ear... I figured i just had some pressure, and if i popped them, then it may feel better. NO WAY. it hurt even worse. Then i had extreme pain for about an hour... The pressure in my ear, wasnt escaping... and it wasnt untill about another hour, before it popped on its own. You dont know how happy i was when that happened!! haha.

Well guys, thanks for reading my story!
And i would like to probably take intro cave; buut, you have to be 18 :(
i still have another two years... but its okay.
im fine with cavern for now :)

Congratulations on your pass!! Don't worry, 18 will be here before you know it. In the meantime you can practice your cavern diving and be really ready for the intro to cave :)

GOOD job girl... CONGRATS!

The more you dive in that environment, the easier it gets. Wait 'til ya try the drysuit!

Good Luck!

Congrats Steph and thanks for sharing the report! You should be proud of yourself -16 and you've already got cavern under your belt. Just keep diving and working on skills! :)

Sounds like you had a good time. Now, on to more important issues...

xScubaStephx:
Peacock did have HORRIBLE vis
What's your definition of "HORRIBLE vis"? (looking for some numbers :wink:)

xScubaStephx:
We had to buddy breathe on the line, and then take off our mask and follow the line. Let me tell you... i was SOO scared, because taking off my mask, is something i wasnt to comfortable with doing... and when it came my turn to take it off, i wasnt sure if i could. So i just thought about why i was so scared... and its because i dont want water to go up my nose, and then me freak out. But everyone was watching me, and i knew i had to do it, so i just took it off, and pinched my nose.
(emphasis by me)
Why are you so uncomfortable taking your mask off? You should be just as comfortable without your mask as you are with it on. Have I sent you a PM concerning exhalation drills/cold water treatment? If not let me know and I'll gladly send it. :) They will help you adapt to having your mask off, and to chilly water.

xScubaStephx:
The only problem i had, was, my nose was stuffy, and when i would surface, i would feel popping under my eyes, and squeezing, then some pressure. About 30 mins after i surfaced, i got a bad ear ache in my left ear... I figured i just had some pressure, and if i popped them, then it may feel better. NO WAY. it hurt even worse. Then i had extreme pain for about an hour... The pressure in my ear, wasnt escaping... and it wasnt untill about another hour, before it popped on its own. You dont know how happy i was when that happened!! haha.
Sounds like you had a reverse squeeze. This happens when you are still congested and the goo keeps the pressure from being released out of the air cavities in your head. Thus you had too much pressure, so equalizing on land is the worst thing you could have done. You had too much air in your sinus cavities and ears to begin with, then you added MORE in.
In this case several things might help. Eating and munching on crunchy food for a while moves your jaw around, which in some cases helps to ease the pressure out of your ears. I personally prefer to 'reverse-equalize' as I call it--hold your nose and swallow. If performed correctly it creates a vacuum in your eustation tubes that helps to draw out extra pressure, so it's literally the opposite of equalizing. :)

SparticleBrane:
What's your definition of "HORRIBLE vis"? (looking for some numbers :wink:)

[QOUTE=SparticleBrane]

Vis in Peacock 1 was about 3' until a depth of 12' on Friday, when there were few divers there. By Sunday morning it had degraded to about 3' until several feet inside the cavern.

The vis was 5 feet.

Congratulations! Cavern is something I've stil got to do.....

I suppose 3-5' is bad enough to be described as horrible. :D

Back
Top Bottom