Cayman Brac In The Winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

releck97

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning our first trip to the Brac in February, 2017. All of our experience has been on Grand Cayman and we are very familiar with the winds and surf on this island. We will be renting a house on the Brac and were looking for recommendations. Is there a lee anywhere in the winter? If I had to guess, it would be in the southwest. Does anyone have recommendations for a less windy/calmer area in February? Thanks for your advice!

Great question... ScubaBoard is taking over the resort there as part of our 2016 Surge event next January. I can't wait to hear the answers!

Cayman Brac is an island. There is always a lee somewhere. Since the resort and the cut face south, the winter northers do not usually hinder the dive operations. But, the prevailing winds are from the east and southeast (as they are in the Keys), and those winds can be strong at times. I recently returned from a trip to Little Cayman. We had almost no north winds, but the southeast winds were often fierce.

Thanks. We have done considerable research over the past week and have found the following information: Northwest is probably the best from a wind standpoint (except during Nor'westers). Otherwise, the southwest coast within the barrier reef is also nice (and includes a sand beach). If you wish to walk out your door and dive, this area is not ideal.

It will be raging from the Northeast 15 to 20 mph, 5 of 7 days. You'll get the Northwest, and Southwest. Tibbet's and Stake Bay are always divable. Southeast and Northeast areas get pounded during the winter.
Hopefully you can get to the South Walls or even Little Cayman when the winds calm.

I start at Spot Bay and work west until the swells stop. Usually around Heritage reef it simmers down. Coming up over bluff, if it's breaking in Spot Bay the whole South will be big swells. You can dive, but the exits involve clawing up the iron shore and taking the hits. Definitely give it a go, no crowds and the rough water doesn't affect the vis too much. Plus the Nassau Groupers are congregating that time of year all along the south and are awesome.

The valet diving at Brac Scuba Shack and Reef divers is special. However, I seldom see the dive boats venture more than a 1/2 mile from the resort in either direction. I like diving Brac from shore. Swim out to MV Tibbets, shore dive Public Beach,and then a night dive a Nina's Miniwall. And that's only the first day of diving..

If you can't find a spot to dive on Brac, then you are stuck at the bar.

Have fun

Is Cayman Brac a newbie friendly place? I've been searching around and I don't see anything overtly alarming. I'd contact the resort(s) but I'm sure they will say there is plenty of easy diving...what do you say? We've got 30 dives, mostly So California boat dives and Catalina as well as 6 shallow reef dives in oahu, all really easy stuff :rolleyes:

Is Cayman Brac a newbie friendly place? I've been searching around and I don't see anything overtly alarming. I'd contact the resort(s) but I'm sure they will say there is plenty of easy diving...what do you say? We've got 30 dives, mostly So California boat dives and Catalina as well as 6 shallow reef dives in oahu, all really easy stuff :rolleyes:

CB is a very friendly and easy diving destination unless the weather doesn't cooperate and there's a lot of wind and waves, but that is true everywhere and the divemasters will always try to take you to the best areas.

Unless you are shore diving (which I am told is very good!) most of the diving is done from boats tied to permanent mooring sites. You are mostly diving on walls so the navigation is easy and the walls usually start pretty shallow in the Caymans. Usually not much current, no drift dives. If you stay at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort the divemasters will provide valet services so no schlepping of heavy gear; it's really easy.

Last edited:
About as easy and beautiful as you can get in the Caribbean. No current, waves of no strength, 100 foot visibility, 86 degree water and air.
Leave your crap in the open, unlocked car. Zero crime.. Just wear sunscreen

I think I've found our very first dive vacation destination! So excited!! How bout it net doc? I'm ready to surge!

I think I've found our very first dive vacation destination! So excited!! How bout it net doc? I'm ready to surge!

Visiting the Caymans in January sounds lovely and I am sure that you will have a great time, but just to let you know - the water temperature at that time of year will probably be in the mid-70s. That's not bad but it's a little colder than some folks prefer. I'm a "warm water wimp" myself and I like water in the 80s.

But you have been diving in California and Hawaii so it will probably be fine for you, have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom