Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brown Mermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're hitting the shores of Cayman Brac July 2006. Staying at the Brac Reef Beach Resort. As in our usual fashion we have from the hard core diver to the snorkeler/non-diver in our midst.

I would like to hear from anyone with any information they may care to part with. Of course we definitely want to hear about the diving, but also, since our family members are going to be patient with us during this vacation we would like to set up some things for them i.e. spa visits, any tours available, a quick day trip back to GCI any thing at all will do.

Cayman Brac, and the people, are our favorites.

I’m not aware of any spas. The Brac only has a population of about 1500, so don’t expect too many man-made diversions. The hotel should know of any tours. We usually rent a car one day and wander the island. 4D’s car rental is a 10-15 minute walk East of you (before you reach the cross-island road), but they pick up, too. There’s also Avis at the airport, and a scooter rental place near 4D’s, but I haven’t used them. If you do get away from the resort, there’s a little shopping available, several bat caves to go in, some nature walks, and we often go to our favorite lunch restaurant, Esperanza’s, on the North side, well East. You’ll be in the extreme SouthWest, but the island is only about 11 miles long. Our main non-diving activities are reading a book in a hammock, or going for walks. If anyone in your group is a go-go type, they’ll probably either have to make their own fun, find the few bars, or be disappointed.

Relax and enjoy.

Hey Brown Mermaid - I think you and your crew were at Cocoview last summer when me and my son Mark and I were there - yes? :D We're from Chicago area too but we were on the Yellow boat with the the folks from France. Anyways, diving at the Brac is great! We did not stay at the resort but at a condo farther down the road. Make sure to get over to Little Cayman to dive as often as possible- it's even better! Also, you must do the night dive from shore on the other side of the island lots of Octopi and other fun critters - I forget the site name but there's old concrete steps leading into the water and you follow the trans-oceanic telephone cable out.
As far as other topside activities - forget about it. If Aunt Sha's is still there the food is very good (not a fancy place at all) and you should try it. There's a "lighthouse" at one end of the island (more like a little radio tower with a light on it) and some nearby shops - there used to be an old guy that made jewelry out of native stones and he was a hoot just to talk to. Otherwise, just dive, dive, dive and enjoy!!!:wink:

I had a dive buddy who owned a home on Cayman Brac and (obviously) dove there often. Unfortunately despite invitations I never made it there to dive with her. She did say the diving was better on Little Cayman.

There's almost always a place to get massages at least (heck, even on Little Cayman.) Brac Reef actually lists a spa.

There is some great snorkeling on the brac, right off of the dock I have seen octupus, lobster, banded coral shrimp, and plenty of schools of fish that hang out under the dock. My advice is to go down the the jetty on the right and get a stick since it gets pretty shallow and push yourself along and let the current take you to the dock there is a ladder on it and it makes it easy to get in and out of. The dive staff also offers to take snorkelers on the dive boat, I would suggest afternoon dives as these are not as long and usually in shallower water.
As far as the other members, Brac Reef offers massages, manicures, pedicures, facials its pretty much a full spa.
I would suggest taking your last day for touring the island, there are some really neat things that most tourists never get to see. The bakery on the otherside of the island is a must and ask for bullas, go to the top of the bluff, the museum is pretty neat to see alot of the way life used to be. There are about 7 or 8 caves that you can access, wear tennis shoes.
Its a beautiful place, relax and enjoy!

bracgrl:
There is some great snorkeling on the brac, right off of the dock I have seen octupus, lobster, banded coral shrimp, and plenty of schools of fish that hang out under the dock. My advice is to go down the the jetty on the right and get a stick since it gets pretty shallow and push yourself along and let the current take you to the dock there is a ladder on it and it makes it easy to get in and out of. The dive staff also offers to take snorkelers on the dive boat, I would suggest afternoon dives as these are not as long and usually in shallower water.
As far as the other members, Brac Reef offers massages, manicures, pedicures, facials its pretty much a full spa.
I would suggest taking your last day for touring the island, there are some really neat things that most tourists never get to see. The bakery on the otherside of the island is a must and ask for bullas, go to the top of the bluff, the museum is pretty neat to see alot of the way life used to be. There are about 7 or 8 caves that you can access, wear tennis shoes.
Its a beautiful place, relax and enjoy!

Hey Bracgrl welcome to the "Scuba Board", Ive been going to the Brac since 1988, a year or two before LC had electricity. The Brac is changing, slowly, change is always certain and not for the better (usually). The Brac still is a great place to visit, friendly people, quiet atmosphere and great diving. We don't go every year to the Brac but have gone about 10 times.

Yes, that was me and us at CCV. So you know we know how to make our own fun. Wish you had been on the red boat with us, you could have had fun with us too. Thanks for yours and everyone else's comments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom