Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

labreole

Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in hearing any recommendations of diving somewhere in the Cayman .
Trip will be from the UK. Timing maybe around Easter 2006
Please recommend a dive company, reasonable accommodation, suggested dive area and particularly good sites
Thanks in advance--labreole

I would think about Cayman Aggressor live aboard. You will hit all the islands and some of their best dive sites.

I agree with Kevin4diving. When you add up all the costs of staying on shore and diving at the same tempo, like the costs for food, lodging, drinks, diving, etc...the Aggressor comes out at the same price or cheaper for better diving.

All the best, James

I would disagree with a live aboard. There are dive resorts www.cobaltcoast.com that provide 2 tank boat trips in the AM and unlimited shore diving 24/7 then the adventures on Grand Cayman are endless. The food at Cobalt Coast Resort is great but there are over 75 awesome restaurants, then there is the Butterfly Farm, Bontanic Gardens/hiking trails and etc. Then you can be part of the island culture with their lovely people and history. I especially enjoy the shore diving and taking my time shooting Macro on top of the miniwalls 15'-30'.

I've been to Cayman a bunch of times and never done a liveaboard there, as the island is nice, dive infrastructure is good, the dive sites are not unreasonably far, and there's so many good restaurants. I like liveaboards in places where those things aren't true. Not to say I would never do a liveaboard in Cayman, but a vacation on land has it's points too. Cobalt Coast/Divetech is my favorite on Grand Cayman and there's good shore diving, though I like the East end diving better otherwise.

All true points. I guess it all depends on your goal for the trip.

If I'm going to dive, I want to dive as much as I can, as easily as possible, at the best dive sites. Liveaboard.

6 days of 5 dives a day, from a liveaboard, is as easy as falling off a log. From shore, it turns into the Batan Death March at day 3.

If it's the first time there, and I want to soak up the culture, it's some shore diving with a quality op (Cobalt Coast is a good one).

We don't dive exclusively liveaboards; depends on what we want from the trip.

All the best, James

Liveaboard to do all the diving possible (and then some). If you want to do other things, but still be out of the way and do the best diving, then I would do East End Grand Cayman (and then you're only 35-40 mins. from all the GC action). If you want remote and don't want a boat, then either Little Cayman or Cayman Brac will satisfy that. If you want everything, then stay in the main drag of Grand Cayman, as you can get plenty of diving action from those locations as well. Whatever you do, have a blast!

James

east end. period. you dont want to go to seven mile beach area for diving, the sea life is terrified of the population. not to mention the reef is a little beat up. if you want a real diving experience where you can meet some great people, try out ocean frontiers. these guys and gals know thier stuff. if you need a place to stay i recommend the reef resort in the east. i had the time of my life between both, only 2 miles down a deserted island road.

east-ender:
east end. period. you dont want to go to seven mile beach area for diving, the sea life is terrified of the population. not to mention the reef is a little beat up. if you want a real diving experience where you can meet some great people, try out ocean frontiers. these guys and gals know thier stuff. if you need a place to stay i recommend the reef resort in the east. i had the time of my life between both, only 2 miles down a deserted island road.

East end....definitly. Just got back a couple of weeks ago. Stayed at Compass Point and dove with Ocean Frontiers. Great dive op. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom