Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't give any recommendations about Grand Cayman. If you don't need lots of shopping and nightlifte, I'd recommend either of the Sister Islands. Brac Reef Beach Resort on Cayman Brac is very nice, but for the best diving, try anywhere on Little Cayman. I've stayed several times at the Little Cayman Beach Resort, and dived with the house dive op, Reef Divers.

Really, you can't beat the diving on Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson Bight.

That said, you probably can't go wrong with an Aggressor. Weather permitting, you'll dive all three islands. My wife and I are doing the Aggressor in June, so we'll finally dive Grand Cayman after 3 trips to the Caymans.

east-ender:
east end. period. you dont want to go to seven mile beach area for diving, the sea life is terrified of the population. not to mention the reef is a little beat up. if you want a real diving experience where you can meet some great people, try out ocean frontiers. these guys and gals know thier stuff. if you need a place to stay i recommend the reef resort in the east. i had the time of my life between both, only 2 miles down a deserted island road.

I'm booked to stay at the Reef Resort in April :D . I've heard a lot about the great diving, but I'm traveling w/ non-diving relatives, I'll be able to dive some days but not others, so... what can I expect in terms of snorkeling:huh: ?

I just got back from a week long trip over the Christmas break in Grand Cayman. We stayed at the Westin on 7 Mile Beach and did all of our diving with Indigo Divers http://www.indigodivers.com

It was an incredible experience. My family and I (all 4 of us are divers) chartered the boat for 2 full days and 3 half days. The diving was awesome. We spent the first day on the North side diving the incredible walls. Because of the weather, the next two days we were on the South side. Really awesome coral formations with swim troughs and great life. The last 2 days we were back on the North side. The life on the walls is simply awesome. Beautiful spotted eagle rays, green moray and spotted eels and a decent handful of turtles.

Other then the incredible diving, Indigo Divers was awesome. They picked us up from our hotel and provided snacks, drinks, and clean towels on a very comfortable clean boat. They were very knowledgeable of the area and really made sure that we were happy and comfortable for the entire trip.

If we go back to Grand Cayman we wouldn’t dive with any other company. No cattle boats for us. They really run a first class operation.

The think I like about Grand Cayman is you can stay on 7 mile beach and have the night life and restaurants (such as it is) or you can stay on the other side and completely chill out in a very quiet atmosphere. Depends on what you want or need for the trip. My last trip, my GF at the time wanted the beach and nightlife at night so we stayed on 7mile. My preference is more remote but I had a blast on the trip either way.

Red Barron is the Dive operation that I have used and will use them again. Nick and Patrick are excellent (even though Patrick wanted to pick up my Girlfriend at the time) they took good care of me. Even picked up my AOW with Randy. Hope to see them again soon . www.redbarondivers.com. No cattle boat here. Great service and laid back.

BTW: I wish Patrick would have picked her up!! :D

I just took the Cayman Aggressor trip Dec 24-31, 2005. It was not my best trip to Cayman and next time I will go back to Cobalt Coast and Dive Tech. We arrived on Christmas Eve and spent Christmas day sitting in the harbor getting the plumbing and AC fixed. You know how hard it is to get a plumber AND an electrician on Christmas day? We managed to get in one dive on the Doc Polson in the AM then head back to the harbor for all day fix up. Then they squeezed in two dives on the Balboa Wreck in the late afternoon and night and they had to anchor so friggin far from the wreck you used all your air just getting there and back. This was my first liveabaord experience and quite possibly my last. It was frustrating to get up and see all the dive boats lined up all around you diving in the same spots you were. Don't even get me started on the plumbing and sewage problems. We never made it to Little Cayman or Brac and still paid the $100PP fuel surcharge, that was really the straw that broke the camel's back. Yes, you get more diving, but it's not all quality diving. We skipped a couple of site after just one dive because they were just terrible. Cayman is beautiful and I will go back and I may plan a few days in Little Cayman as well.

I would be sending a very pointed complaint letter to Aggressor at this point: do it, because they are very customer-service oriented at the corporate level and will go out of their way to make you happy, whether that be a partial refund, or a discount off a future trip, whatever. Don't judge the liveaboard experience by one bad time: it really is great, especially when everything is hitting on all cylinders. Just goes to show, anything can happen (and usually does) on a dive trip!

James

I have known others who don't recommend the Liveaboard for Cayman due to the fact that most of the time they just hang around Grand Cayman and don't venture out to the other islands often unless the weather is perfect. I have no first hand knowledge of this rather this came from someone who lives on the island. They were not anit-liveaboard, just anti-liveaboard in Cayman. I have stayed on the island and loved it but eating out is very expensive. Next time I would do a condo where I can cook meals some days/nights or an all inclusive.

The island is very clean though and the people were very nice. We had a blast and I would definetly go back again for both the diving and island time. The other side of the island on Sunday is the ultimate chill spot for an afternoon of drinks in a hammock and standing in waste deep water talking to everyone who brought their boat down from Miami and the Keys. One of the highlights of the trip.

T.J.

BTW: PM me with your email address and I will send you some pictures that give you some of the locations/hotels/restaurants/etc. on it. They are usefull if you enlarge them and print them up so you can find stuff. Not perfect but pretty good for finding stuff on the west side....at least before the hurricane. I am sure not that much has changed.

gratefuljames:
I would be sending a very pointed complaint letter to Aggressor at this point: do it, because they are very customer-service oriented at the corporate level and will go out of their way to make you happy, whether that be a partial refund, or a discount off a future trip, whatever."

I will write a letter, I just haven't calmed down enough yet to make it a pointed and courteous letter. I like to be rational in my letters and I often have to stop and think before I do anything so I don't come off sounding like a complete psycho.

FYI Grateful James I drove down to the East End and Compass Point, it looks great down there and you should have an excellent trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom