Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grand Cayman East End. I seen this discussion in past posts, but Is Drew Sailbum still on the board? If so, would ya contact me. I need some information on the Tortuga divers. I'll be there Feb 24 - March 3 2006 and need to set up some dive package for 4 of us. We own at the Morritts so I think that we get a discount diving?
Is tortuga still tortuga or is it red sail?
thank you

My boyfriend and I are headed GC the 28th for the first time. We are set to stay at the reef resort and dive w/ocean frontiers. Excited to hear RR and OF gets high marks! We're renting a car while there and between 2 tank am and 2 tank pm dives wondering what to see/where to eat while on the island.
Any suggestions for the GC newbies are greatly appreciated!!

scubacs:
My boyfriend and I are headed GC the 28th for the first time. We are set to stay at the reef resort and dive w/ocean frontiers. Excited to hear RR and OF gets high marks! We're renting a car while there and between 2 tank am and 2 tank pm dives wondering what to see/where to eat while on the island.
You're not going to have enough time between am and pm dives to do much. I suggest going shopping at one of the supermarkets near the airport before you drive out to the Reef, and pick up food for quick lunches (like sandwich makings, etc.) Stock up for breakfast too, unlike a dedicated dive resort the restaurant at the Reef doesn't open early enough to have breakfast before heading for the boat. As far as I have heard there is not yet a grocery store on the East End, the last small one was wiped out by Ivan and nothing new yet. And be aware the grocery stores are not open on Sunday other than some convienience stores, so definitely do it Saturday.

scubacs:
...wondering what to see/where to eat while on the island.

Dining out has somewhat limited options on East End and the nearby districts of Northside and Bodden Town.

Arlain's is the closest spot to Ocean Frontiers, but is basically a place to grab a quick lunch. Not much further away is Miss Viveen's Kitchen for definite island style food at a great price.

Portofino's has a nice seafood-influenced Italian menu, with a few Indian currys and such as well.

Castro's at The Royal Reef has a decent, typical, island selection. They have The Barefoot Man providing live entertainment a night or two each week as well.

A little further away in Old Man Bay is Over the Edge, a reasonably priced bar/restaurant that draws the local crowd.

Sundays bring a tough decision. Captain Herman runs a weekly fish fry on the beach by the Texaco gas station in East End. At the same time there is a catered barbecue at the Driftwood Sports bar in Northside.

If you have a break in the diving, the beach at Rum Point is very nice. The bar/grill there makes some excellent lunches. I favor the jerk pork sandwich. Only open for lunches.

Near Rum Point is the Kaibo Yacht Club. The bar and grill here makes some great Po'Boy sandwiches for lunch, and there is a rotating variety of delicious offerings for dinner.

And a visit just wouldn't be complete without a roadside stop for jerk chicken. Lorna Woods' Jerk Stand in Bodden Town offers real Caribbean flavour at excellent prices. It's a spot to grab a dinner to go, adn it is wonderful stuff!

Do be certain to stock up on groceries, particularly for breakfast! Groceries are still closed on Sundays island-wide. A new small Foster's Food Fair is nearing completion in the shopping center across the road from The Royal Reef and Morritt's.

Thanks for the good information Damselfish and Drew Sailbum. I am going on the aforementioned trip (I am the boyfriend) and we are really excited about going to the Caymans. We have heard really good things about both Reef Resort and OCean Frontiers. We will be sure to post a recap of our trip once we return home.

Can any Grand Cayman veteran give me some idea of the grocery prices there? Not a detailed list, but mostly sandwich stuff, soft drinks, and most especially, Beer:14:

I'll work on a list tonight. Suffice it to say that you should plan on groceries costing about 20% more. Frozen goods and refrigerated goods 25-40% more due to higher shipping costs.

Alcohol cannot be purchased at grocery stores. There is a heavy import duty on all alcohol. Try googling The Thirsty Surfer, a liquor store with some prices listed online.

You can check out the latest grocery advertisements from two of the three major grocery stores in Cayman with the following links:

Hurley's

Foster's Food Fair

Thirsty Surfer beer prices Examples: case Corona =CI$42.95 = US$53.69 case Budweiser = CI$34.75 = US$43.44

Name brand soft drinks are about CI$10 to 12 per case. Generics can be much less, CI$6 per case, if the stores have them in stock.

I was very happy (three times over the past several years) at Cobalt Coast resort and diving with on site Divetech. Very professional, knowledgeable, safe. They used to have unlimited shore diving when boat diving the same day. nice shore diving at their 2 locations.

Just wanted to give another plug for Ocean Frontiers on the East End. There isn't a whole lot on the east end post-Ivan, but this place is worth the remoteness. They take care of just about everything, are helpful to a fault, and are always willing to make recommendations if you want to shore dive, go sightseeing, etc...

Do stock up on groceries near the airport before you drive to the east end. (And liquor if you want any).

We went in August for our first trip to the carribean and loved it so much that we're going again in March! We had some of the flattest seas ever seen during hurricane season, we got really lucky. If anyone wants to see our pictures (some great ones even with no strobe!) check them out here:
http://www.pbase.com/alli/august_grand_cayman
If you want to take a lot of pictures bring your own gear they are still getting setup to provide rental digital cameras but coming soon... :)

Happy diving!
--alli

Back
Top Bottom