Cenotes - any problem with fresh water? Infection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once or twice a year for better than a decade. If this is your first trip to the area, I would strongly recommend that you invest in some of the maps/guides from cancunmap.com-Your information source They are updated annually with website info when available. The area changes so fast that we buy a new PDC map every couple of years.

Also, Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts, Rentals: Mexican Caribbean Vacation has an excellent set of aerials with some links to hotels. We use them for condo rentals in Akumal. Good company and we have never had a problem.

One other note, both HC and El Fogon are where the local business men have lunch (which starts at 1pm). Not much English is spoken there.

I just looked at the cancunmap website. they have made a major change in their products and I would not recommend them.

Last edited:
Thanks for your links, I'll get those maps.

What about clothing - extra diving luggage is rather expensive from here. Are there any restrictions about high-end clothes you have to wear in those hotels? Especially at lunch / dinner time?

I did carwash last month and also Mayab Blue during a mosquito bloom. I rinsed my ears with 50/50 vinager/alcohol after each dive and still returned home with an ear infectoin. I'm not easily prone to them but do get them everytime I dive in fresh water, just never salt water.

Thanks for your links, I'll get those maps.

What about clothing - extra diving luggage is rather expensive from here. Are there any restrictions about high-end clothes you have to wear in those hotels? Especially at lunch / dinner time?

We never stay in an AI so I have no idea what clothing requirements are. If you ask the question on Playa del Carmen info they will have an answer for you. In general, the whole area has a very relaxed attitude regarding clothing. Shorts, t shirt and sandals are good enough for any place on 5th ave.

Another place you may want to try is El Tarraya. Good seafood, very decent prices and right on the beach at about Calle 2.

We stayed at an all-inclusive in PlayaCar, and I never saw anyone more dressed up than shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. The food was awful.

If you are going to do the cenotes, I would HIGHLY recommend having some long pants with you -- we use the nylon ones with the zipper that converts them to shorts. The resort areas are heavily sprayed for mosquitoes, but the cenotes are in the jungle, and the bugs are ravenous. DEET works well on the mosquitoes and the tabano flies (which are WAY worse) but one is asked not to wear the bug spray into the water, because it hurts the fish, so long pants are a good idea (and sometimes long sleeves, too!).

We loved Ajua -- Mayan cuisine, very good food, free WiFi, and great margaritas!

I did carwash last month and also Mayab Blue during a mosquito bloom. I rinsed my ears with 50/50 vinager/alcohol after each dive and still returned home with an ear infectoin. I'm not easily prone to them but do get them everytime I dive in fresh water, just never salt water.

Just curious, since you used the word "rinse"... how long did you keep the vinegar/alcohol mix in each ear? I have read in a few sources* that it should be kept in each ear for a full five minutes (maybe you did that, but I couldn't tell for sure and if not - maybe it would make a difference for you).

Blue Sparkle

*I can't remember all the places I've read that suggestion but one was a medical book for long-distance sailors that was written by a nurse.

Just curious, since you used the word "rinse"... how long did you keep the vinegar/alcohol mix in each ear? I have read in a few sources* that it should be kept in each ear for a full five minutes (maybe you did that, but I couldn't tell for sure and if not - maybe it would make a difference for you).

About a minute! Maybe that's the problem?

Some ceynotes are infested with bats...my wife swears she got an ear infection from bat crap

Blue Sparkle

*I can't remember all the places I've read that suggestion but one was a medical book for long-distance sailors that was written by a nurse.
A rinse is better than nothing, all I do usually, but I think the US Navy says 3 minutes, each side, at the end of the day. Probably should. If I lay down for 5 minutes tho, I'll fall asleep.

A rinse is better than nothing, all I do usually...

I don't scientifically or medically know enough about "bugs" and medicine to judge, but perhaps there is an exponential difference in the effectiveness of the five-minute recommendation over a quick rinse?. I wonder if it's possible that a rinse is, say, 10% better than nothing but the 5 minutes is 90% better?

As a bibliographical note to my previous post*, I looked up the book I mentioned. It's The Healthy Cruiser's Handbook, but Janette Loomis, RN, BS and James H. Bryan MD PhD:

cover.jpg
Amazon.com: The Healthy Cruiser's Handbook (9780972107709): Janette Loomis, James Bryan: Books

I'm not sure if this will be legible, but here is an excerpt, from page 79, which includes the ear recommendation. I have also heard/read recommendations for 50/50 alcohol/vinegar, and some that include a small amount of oil. I believe they have all agreed on the five minutes though (but again, I'm not an expert; I just posted in response to leabre having infections after "rinsing."

page 79.jpg

Blue Sparkle

* I realize this is not going to be a high demand book for most divers, but I added the info because because I don't like to make a "lazy" reference to a source. I found it to be a useful book when planning an extended stay away from easy/familiar medical care. I also appreciated the info on the tropics (for example, before ever going there, I had no idea cuts take longer to heal or can be extra important to take care of, etc.).

That book looks interesting - I try to get it. Is it recommended to dive in that cenotes if one has diabetes? I guess, if he has'nt any wound , it shoud be ok?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom