Cenotes - any problem with fresh water? Infection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven`t had any problems in the 12 years (4 as a tourist and 8 as a full time cenote guide) that I have been diving here with the exception of a mild ear ache. My post dive routine does not include any sort of drops, though if I would remember to, I would use an alcohol and vinegar mix letting it sit in each ear for about 4 minutes after each dive. More to help dry them out than anything else.

After about 12 - 14 days straight of being in the water I will develop a mild ear infection and I will use Soldrin Otico drops for about 2 days to clear it up. Soldrin Otico has an antibiotic and is available over the counter from most drug stores.

Dennis

I
After about 12 - 14 days straight of being in the water I will develop a mild ear infection and I will use Soldrin Otico drops for about 2 days to clear it up. Soldrin Otico has an antibiotic and is available over the counter from most drug stores.

Am I understanding that you are picking up some sort of (mild?) viral infection in your ears after extended diving there? Do you know more about it, specifically?

I'm hoping to dive in the cenotes (some day) -- just picking up some background knowledge at this point. They look sooo amazing :)

From what I've read, it's usually not what's in the water so much as how your body deals with wet ears. I used to never get Swimmers Ear, but now I've had enough cases that it scares me. The worst time was after diving the St. Lawrence river and forgetting to treat with the mix. I was in bed for two days with the pain and all, but then guys are lousy about pain.

Once a day, 3 minutes in each ear should be enough.

Am I understanding that you are picking up some sort of (mild?) viral infection in your ears after extended diving there?

Most likely it's not viral because anti-biotics do not treat viral infections, only bacterial.

I have a good article on ear infections on the Dive Matrix. The kind of infection we are talking about is otitis externa, which is a bacterial infection of the skin of the external auditory canal (the part that goes from the outside world as far as the eardrum). One of the common organisms that causes this is a Pseudomonas bacterium. Pseudomonas are water lovers -- they're the reason you can't bring flowers to an ICU. They also don't like acidic environments, which is why the vinegar component of earwashes is useful (and why vinegar actually WORKS in p-valves, which are also susceptible to Pseudomonas colonization).

Most likely it's not viral because anti-biotics do not treat viral infections, only bacterial.

Duh, my mistake! :blush: I know the concept but had a "brain fart." Glad you pointed it out.

Hello,
where do I get those "Soldrin Otico" ? Thanks
In case he doesn't post again for a while, I think he said it's available in local drug stores there. Mexico recently implemented prescription requirements for some antibiotics previous sold without prescription, but if it's not still sold "over the counter" (OTC) - the pharmacist can probably expedite a doctor's script for you.

Otico is Spanish meaning for the ear. I like Cortisporin Otico for the same purpose, but both contain antibiotics for ear treatment and hydrocortizone for ear pain and swelling - and a physician should really be consulted before using either, but many divers carry similar meds in case of need. I haven't incurred a water related ear infection in years now that I am diligent with my alcohol-vinegar rinse, but I still get a horrible ear ache at times - and will not travel overnight without Cortisporin Otico in my bag. :D

More info at http://www.catalog.md/drugs/soldrin-otico.html
and at http://www.catalog.md/drugs/cortisporin-otico.html

Am I understanding that you are picking up some sort of (mild?) viral infection in your ears after extended diving there? Do you know more about it, specifically?

I'm hoping to dive in the cenotes (some day) -- just picking up some background knowledge at this point. They look sooo amazing :)

I am not a doctor. What I think is happening is that the cells in my ears are becoming saturated, they then swell and cause mild pain. I think that if I dried them or used a drop to assist in the drying of my ears, I wouldn`t have an issue.

Also, thanks to Don`s post above!!!

Dennis

Am I understanding that you are picking up some sort of (mild?) [-]viral[/-] infection in your ears after extended diving there? Do you know more about it, specifically?

I am not a doctor. What I think is happening is that the cells in my ears are becoming saturated, they then swell and cause mild pain. I think that if I dried them or used a drop to assist in the drying of my ears, I wouldn`t have an issue.

Also, thanks to Don`s post above!!!

Dennis
From what I have read at DAN's site and here, I think your wet ears are getting a bacterial infection - which is why the antibiotic you use helps, along with the hydrocortizone for pain and swelling. Using that med for drying would not work, but it will treat the infection and pain. Using it briefly then stopping prematurely could lead to problems, which is why we get doctors' orders and follow them. Using alcohol & vinegar mix as a drying preventative is the most popular suggestion. Equal parts mixed of white salad bar vinegar & 100 proof tequila should work. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom