Central America dive resort research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stubb063

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm researching a trip to somewhere in Central America besides Mexico (I've already been there and want something different), but not finding as much information as I'd like online.

I'll be going with a friend (Advanced Cert), another friend (non-certified, but would like to get her certification during the trip, if possible), my wife (non-certified, but also is willing to get certified) and myself (Advanced Cert).

My initial guidelines, which could be amended if options are too limited:

- All Inclusive
- Good diving area (diving will be the focus, so this could overrule some other options if need be)
- Primarily adult-oriented (some kids are OK, we just don't want to be dodging kids left and right the whole week)
- Anywhere in Central America other than Mexico (we dove in Mexico two summers ago and want to cross a different country off the old bucket list)
- Prefer an on-site dive shop to avoid having to shuttle all over the place as we'll certainly be diving every day and really don't want to deal with traveling hassle
- Beach
- Pool Bar
- Decent to good food (we don't need culinary masterpieces every night, but definitely good enough to be enjoyable)
- Non-diving excursion options within the area
- Air Conditioned

Cost is less of a concern, as long as it's not something outrageous (less than $3000 per person for a week, including flights, and we even have some leeway there if needed).

I've done some searching on my own, but everything I find seems to have some hangup that makes me hesitant to pick it. So I'm thinking some folks here might have some suggestions from their own experiences that could help.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Based on your criteria, I think you should be looking at any number of all inclusive resorts on the island of Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras.
Some of the favorites here on Scubaboard are:
Anthony's Key Resort: Anthony's Key Resort | Roatan Bungalows | Honduras | Bay Islands
Coco View Resort: Roatan Resort & Diving | CoCo View Resort
Turquoise Bay Resort: Roatan’s Best Dive Value | Turquoise Bay Resort

There are others you can research as well. Anthony's Key (also known as AKR) is running 2 for 1 specials, so bang for your buck would be good there.

Last edited:
not meaning to pick apart the previous suggestion but AKR only has a oretty small beach on the Key, Cocoview has none and Turquoise Bay's is small but looked nice - there's no shore dive there. Actually no pool bar at Cocoview either since there's no pool.

Might also look at Barefoot Cay but it will price closer to the upper end of your range. No shore dive there either although good snorkeling in the protected lagoon. .The resort is as nice as it looks..

You might also consider Utopia Village on Utila but it's a boat ride removed from town so pretty isolated.They have a beach bar - IDK how close it is to the pool.Not many "other attractions" on Utila either - it's still pretty small.

Some of the Belize resorts could work also - Hamanasi is one but may be overbudget. It's also along the coast in Southern Belize so slightly isolated. Although it's a good starting point for the Mayan ruins and other jungle tours. There's probably options on Ambergris Cay also but IDK which are AI except maybe Ramon's,

Last edited:
It would be a shame to go AI on Ambergris Caye unless one is staying quite far north at one of the more isolated resorts.

If you are able to expand your criteria to include locations beyond Central America to include the rest of the Caribbean, it would increase your options.

Last edited:
My wife and I spent a week at Turquoise Bay last summer Turquoise Bay Resort/Subway Watersports August 2017

Your criteria:

- All Inclusive Yes
- Good diving area (diving will be the focus, so this could overrule some other options if need be) Overall quite good, but not among the very best of the Caribbean. Diving is quite easy. Good variety, did not repeat a site all week, 17 dives, 3 per day, 1 a night dive, 2 on final day.
- Primarily adult-oriented (some kids are OK, we just don't want to be dodging kids left and right the whole week) There were a few children there the week we stayed, they were unobtrusive, well behaved. The resort offers nothing special to attract or entertain children
- Anywhere in Central America other than Mexico (we dove in Mexico two summers ago and want to cross a different country off the old bucket list)
- Prefer an on-site dive shop to avoid having to shuttle all over the place as we'll certainly be diving every day and really don't want to deal with traveling hassle The on site operator, Subway Watersports, was quite good, well organized, professional. They do a lot of teaching, both recreational and professional.
- Beach Good size beach, suspect it was constructed rather than entirely natural. Not the nicest sand, but OK. Lounges and shade palapas. Swimming off the beach is OK but it is shallow with seagrass, no snorkeling. You can order drinks from the beach.
- Pool Bar Nice pool, good size bar and casual lounge adjacent to pool. Bartenders were very nice, drinks were good, some very tasty specialty drinks. We actually added the AI drinks to our package and easily got our money's worth. Nice not having to charge any drinks for the stay, just left a tip at the bar at the end of the day.
- Decent to good food (we don't need culinary masterpieces every night, but definitely good enough to be enjoyable) Most of the food was quite good, some excellent, some mediocre. Generally good selection
- Non-diving excursion options within the area They have an activities desk/coordinator, we did not use them. There is a list of activities on the website. We did a private island tour with our very kind boat captain, Pedro, on our last afternoon, it was very enjoyable.
- Air Conditioned Yes, nice split units with good thermostat

Best of luck in arranging your vacation. Let us know what you did and how it worked out. Particularly, best of luck to the two new divers to be.

Last edited:
CocoView has NO pool, and no beach. It has no children unless they are certified divers. Also, food is buffet style all 3 meals, so may not meet the requirements the OP is looking for. I love the place, but it isn't really the resort AI type of place.

Anthony's Key Resort Roatan is probably better fit in that regard. It is not fancy though, if that is what you want.

To the OP --- your requirements really do limit your experience choices. AI resorts just aren't big in that area. And fancy, luxury, and elegant don't really exist for dive resorts.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

We've looked through a lot of the options, and we're really liking the Anthony's Key Bungalows. Seems like a good combination of good diving, and the ambiance we're looking for, even if it isn't quite an all-inclusive.

We were pretty much decided on going there, and that really got solidified when we noticed they're offering a buy one, get one deal for their 50th Anniversary.

Back
Top Bottom