Cerebral Aneurysm - how long to dive again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But, I'd listen to the attending docs along with DAN's input---& not someone in cyberspace---ie someone you can look eyeball to eyeball @....

Yes, sir, diver 85, it would be downright foolhardy to listen to any of the Medical Moderators on this forum, who include a cardiologist, dentist, ER physician, psychiatrist, ENT & an august member of Duke Dive Medicine, among others, all of whom are avid divers.

Why they might tell you something like found in Duke Dive Medicine's post of January 28th, 2013 above: "The decision should ultimately be up to the physician who performed the procedure, though.”

I would also point out that DAN's input will not involve any "eyeball to eyeball" contact, and may not even involve a physician. You may find the following post of mine from some years ago to be informative:

“The ‘Call DAN’ reflex: An involuntary and almost instantaneous abnormal movement of the less than optimally functioning nervous system.

On this and other diving medicine forums I frequently see responders, who appear to be genuine in their desire to be helpful, stating that DAN is the ONLY one qualified to answer the question and should ALWAYS be contacted and there are NO experts on this forum and the like.

Of course emergency diving medicine inquiries should be brought to their immediate attention. And, while it often is a wise idea to inquire of DAN about non-urgent situations, one needs to appreciate the likely limitations of doing so.

For example, when one contacts DAN they first, and often only, speak with a paraprofessional (e.g., registered nurse, diving EMT). These folks often simply thumb to DAN's medical FAQs (DAN | Site Map) and read or email a paraphrasing to the individual. They frequently are quite busy and give the briefest possible reply. For understandable reasons, DAN provides very limited direct physician access. As such, the answers received from the experts on a diving medicine forum are likely to be longer and more informative than the responses from DAN, even when both are in essence correct.

Also, diving medicine forums typically afford greater opportunity for more rapid give and take between participants than is the case with DAN. Finally, links to previous board threads on the topic, professional magazine and journal articles on the topic, and other reference sources are often given on these forums, another nicety not usually provided in a DAN reply.

And, DAN does occasionally give a rather shaky response. I can cite a number of these. It is a very worthy and valuable organization, but it in fact is not the be all and end all of diving medicine fact and opinion.

It would seem wisest to inquire from a range of sources and see how the opinions rank based on the factual and theoretical support given an opinion, the thoroughness and clarity of the response, and similar factors.

In summary, in non-emergency cases I can see no compelling reason not to seek advice from recognized diving medicine forums and other reputable sources that have knowledgeable physician participation and turning to DAN only if that fails. Some diving medicine inquiries are rather easy to answer and do not require DAN's valuable, but limited, medical resources.”

Regards,

DocVikingo

I got some comfort from miketsp's story but I don't see anything about an EVD.

So, how long does the hole drilled into my head take to heal

The External Ventricular Drain would have been used as a *temporary* measure to get you over the acute part of your illness (the time when you were most unwell), presumably because you had an increase in the pressure in the inner cavities of the brain, called the ventricles.

After you are past this period, the drain would be removed when you no longer need it. If you continue to need it, which is uncommon, then the tubing will have to be 'internalised', by placing in into a body cavity, usually the abdomen.

The hole made in the skull to place the EVD is also called a 'Burr hole', if you want to look it up. This basically never completely heals, but will be sealed by the soft tissues and membranes on the inside and outside.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The External Ventricular Drain would have been used as a *temporary* measure to get you over the acute part of your illness (the time when you were most unwell), presumably because you had an increase in the pressure in the inner cavities of the brain, called the ventricles.

After you are past this period, the drain would be removed when you no longer need it. If you continue to need it, which is uncommon, then the tubing will have to be 'internalised', by placing in into a body cavity, usually the abdomen.

The hole made in the skull to place the EVD is also called a 'Burr hole', if you want to look it up. This basically never completely heals, but will be sealed by the soft tissues and membranes on the inside and outside.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I was able to stablize the internal pressure and the EVD was removed 2 weeks after the coiling. The skin over the 'Burr hole' is healed now as well, I just worry that the pressure changes of diving might be a problem. My husband and I have been planning a dive/travel trip to celebrate our 50th bdays together for years, and I really don't want my medical issue to make us cancel or reschedule unless it's a really big deal. Of course I'll work w/ my Dr's and w/ DAN, just hoping for as much insight as I can get before my follow up appts later this week.

The skin over the 'Burr hole' is healed now as well, I just worry that the pressure changes of diving might be a problem.

Hi Samma,

There are no concerns regarding the pressure effect of depth per se on the burr hole at any conceivable scuba depth.

You will of course want to protect the operative site from any trauma.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Just for the record, my wife did have an EVD.
Also as from a couple of years after the event we didn't impose any limits on our diving and we have been diving regularly including a number of dives into the 40-50m range.

Just for the record, my wife did have an EVD.
Also as from a couple of years after the event we didn't impose any limits on our diving and we have been diving regularly including a number of dives into the 40-50m range.

Mike, that gives me so much comfort. Diving together is a really big deal for my husband and I - I had a mini freak out a couple weeks out of the hospital that I might never dive again, and it was awful. That took me here, and reading your thread was really helpful. I've got my follow up appts later this week, and hope to get cleared to drive, fly, and maybe even dive again. Really glad to hear your wife had a full recovery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom