Certain people should not be certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roxy271-
I don't think I implied that all I ever do is bail out.... In fact- I kept going back to class and worked on the skills until I really had them down. I was just expressing that I had some difficulty in the beginning that I had to work through and that the pool class as it was set up with just one night of training wasn't enough for me.

And yes, I know that dive visibilty isn't always like I experienced in the Bahamas- I got a (very small) taste of that doing my OW in a dry suit in Dutch Springs in PA on a weekend (when every bit of silt is kicked up by all the divers in the water). Even though diving conditions are easier in high visibilty warm tropical waters, I was never anxious and didn't "bail out" on my 7 dives there. I know that diving around my area in NY/NJ- just like yours in Seattle- takes a lot of skill and a lot more bulky equipment- but wouldn't that be more reason for a course around here to not rush students through skills in one pool session? I'm glad I asked for the extra pool time I needed to feel confident in the basic skills. I saw students going off to take OW after that first pool session that I don't think ever should. I do want to do local diving later as I get more experienced-but I'm not an idiot. I plan to continue to get training, get more dive experience, and be cautious. I don't think I need to give up this hobby just because I had to work a little harder at it in the beginning.

strfsh once bubbled...
I had three pool sessons each one was 4 hours long. We had about 9 people in my class. I was one who was breezing through the skills...actually a lot of students were, but there were two students who I don't think should have passed. I'm not even sure if one of them finished doing all their skills in the OW dive. Everytime I was around they were freaking out and calling for the assistant DM. They both passes, but I don't know how. I was suppose to buddy with one of them and I refused. I told the instructor if I had to rely on them him to save me I'm going to die. He let me buddy with some one else....:)

That is one of the problems everyone that sighns up expects to be cerified on the end.
A lot of people don't take it seriously as if there just learning to go shopping or something.
Diving that is done wrong can kill we just had a diver die three weeks ago why because he had not been diving in a while he went with his buddys and was overweighted in his BC.
He got in trouble on the top and didn't dump his weights instead he ripped out his low pressure inflator out of his BC and after thst sank like a rock.
His buddys locked for him immediately but here in the north west the visability is poor by the time they found him he was dead.
:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom