Certification 'Vacation" in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of things... Florida is also in the Caribbean. If we're blown out, likely many of the islands are also blown out.

Not so sure about that broad a statement. Sure, you can get blown out anywhere, but I've been to the keys to dive and have been blown out many times... in conditions that we do DSD's in here in NJ. One time I was blown out of every dive for three days straight. On the other hand I have NEVER been blown out of a dive anywhere "else" in the Caribbean.

Florida is also in the Caribbean.

No, not according to formal definitions. From Encyclopedia Brittanica, for example:
Caribbean Sea, suboceanic basin of the western Atlantic Ocean, lying between latitudes 9° and 22° N and longitudes 89° and 60° W. It is approximately 1,063,000 square miles (2,753,000 square km) in extent. To the south it is bounded by the coasts of Venezuela, Colombia, and Panama; to the west by Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, and the Yucatán Peninsula of Mexico; to the north by the Greater Antilles islands of Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico; and to the east by the Lesser Antilles chain, consisting of the island arc that extends from the Virgin Islands in the northeast to Trinidad, off the Venezuelan coast, in the southeast. Within the boundaries of the Caribbean itself, Jamaica, to the south of Cuba, is the largest of a number of islands.
Caribbean Sea.jpg

The International Hydrographic Office is the world naming/boundary authority. Here is its Caribbean map from its latest revision:
Caribbean Map IHO.jpg

Key Largo is actually in the Straits of Florida, in the IHO formal definitions. The northern boundary of the Straits is the south edge of the Keys.
the Straits separate the Atlantic from the Gulf of Mexico.
GoM and St of FL IHO.jpg

Last edited:
Not so sure about that broad a statement. Sure, you can get blown out anywhere, but I've been to the keys to dive and have been blown out many times... in conditions that we do DSD's in here in NJ. One time I was blown out of every dive for three days straight. On the other hand I have NEVER been blown out of a dive anywhere "else" in the Caribbean.
Not so sure about that broad a statement. :D :D :D

When did you dive these places? Were they in the same month? I've been blown out on vacation throughout the Caribbean. It's never fun, but it happens. It's why we have rum!!!

As for being a PART of the Caribbean, according to Wikipedia, we are:
The region is southeast of the Gulf of Mexico and the North American mainland, east of Central America, and north of South America.
The best part about Keys diving is that we have lots of shallow. Many of our reefs are in the 20-30 depths, giving you lots of bottom time and limited exposure to N2.

Reactions: RJP
Hi and thanks for the thoughts so far.

As mentioned by Scubagolf, we are in NH- northern NH near the VT border. We originally had planned to do the etraining at home (we have already started this with PADI) and then in February, we would have done the pool work in Florida pre-cruise, and the checkout dives in Cozumel and Grand Cayman during a cruise (we aren't big party people or drinkers- the cruise ship is, for us, a relaxing way to get from point A to point B). However, my husband just fell and broke a couple of ribs, so we are revisiting our plans, since scuba, and even swimming, may not be all that fun for him during our originally scheduled timeframe. So we were thinking of postponing our cruise till fall and to instead go on a diving vacation after his ribs heal (April). To be honest, after doing more reading on this forum, I was also starting to worry that maybe our original plan wasn't the best approach to getting certified anyway.

As as far as specific location, we have to be fly out of Boston, so we are likely looking at Florida or the Caribbean. The more that I read on this board, the more I want make sure we choose a good instructor to work with so in addition to recommendations for location, recommendations for a good dive shop would also be appreciated. It may be possible to do the pool work here, but that would likely mean a shorter time away, since we'd probably cut into our vacation time to make time for the pool work. We would have to do the pool work pretty close to Boston, since that is where most of the dive shops I have found are.

Losing dive days in Cozumel due to El Nortes is not uncommon. It has happened to me.

As for being a PART of the Caribbean, according to Wikipedia, we are "The region is southeast of the Gulf of Mexico and the North American mainland, east of Central America, and north of South America.

Two things wrong with quoting Wikipedia as a source:
1. It is the wrong section in Wikipedia, you quoted from "Caribbean" as opposed to "Caribbean Sea," the section starts out "This article is about a group of islands.", the associated map does not include Florida, and neither does the rest of the article. The geographical reference you quote (and I've requoted above) is about the location of the Caribbean, not the boundaries.
2. Wikipedia is not an authoritative source; anyone can change an article, which is why most colleges disallow its use.

None of this is to say that you might not have bad weather or good, or that the diving is great or awful.....it just is not correct that the Keys are part of the Caribbean, even though many in the Keys would like to be part of something other than the U.S.!

By the way, I'm in agreement that Key Largo is a good choice for the OP, especially if they do their classroom/pool at home first, or at least the classroom. They should also avoid all the "my agency is better than your agency" crap on SB and just get it done. If they go to Key Largo they'll have lots of choices, and can shop around for a day or two until they find the right chemistry and logistics. Pool/OW should not take more than 3 days.

Hi and thanks for the thoughts so far.

As mentioned by Scubagolf, we are in NH- northern NH near the VT border. We originally had planned to do the etraining at home (we have already started this with PADI) and then in February, we would have done the pool work in Florida pre-cruise, and the checkout dives in Cozumel and Grand Cayman during a cruise (we aren't big party people or drinkers- the cruise ship is, for us, a relaxing way to get from point A to point B). However, my husband just fell and broke a couple of ribs, so we are revisiting our plans, since scuba, and even swimming, may not be all that fun for him during our originally scheduled timeframe. So we were thinking of postponing our cruise till fall and to instead go on a diving vacation after his ribs heal (April). To be honest, after doing more reading on this forum, I was also starting to worry that maybe our original plan wasn't the best approach to getting certified anyway.

As as far as specific location, we have to be fly out of Boston, so we are likely looking at Florida or the Caribbean. The more that I read on this board, the more I want make sure we choose a good instructor to work with so in addition to recommendations for location, recommendations for a good dive shop would also be appreciated. It may be possible to do the pool work here, but that would likely mean a shorter time away, since we'd probably cut into our vacation time to make time for the pool work. We would have to do the pool work pretty close to Boston, since that is where most of the dive shops I have found are.

Out of Boston you can do Jet Blue (through NY) to Curacao easily. Phenomenal diving, great beaches, and lots of other stuff to do. Been there three times, love it.

The more that I read on this board, the more I want make sure we choose a good instructor to work with so in addition to recommendations for location, recommendations for a good dive shop would also be appreciated. It may be possible to do the pool work here, but that would likely mean a shorter time away, since we'd probably cut into our vacation time to make time for the pool work. We would have to do the pool work pretty close to Boston, since that is where most of the dive shops I have found are.

Glad to hear it. On the forum, you'll often hear people mention a 'resort course.' Basically, it's an OW course run quickly in the tropics (e.g.: Caribbean) perhaps in 'aquarium like conditions) to minimum agency requirements (if that), resulting in a C card the large majority of the time. And a diver who may be, well, half-baked, in need of further refinement to get comfortable in the water.

With that in mind, whatever you do, I suggest scheduling things so you've got some extra days. Because you may have unforeseen difficulty with some of the checkout dive skills; I did. Sometimes it takes some more time & work to get things done right. Allow yourselves the time, just in case.

Richard.

Glad to hear it. On the forum, you'll often hear people mention a 'resort course.' Basically, it's an OW course run quickly in the tropics (e.g.: Caribbean) perhaps in 'aquarium like conditions) to minimum agency requirements (if that), resulting in a C card the large majority of the time. And a diver who may be, well, half-baked, in need of further refinement to get comfortable in the water.

"Resort course" usually refers to a Discover Scuba program... with no cert issued.

There's a PADI shop in Manchester - not sure how close that is to you. Judging from the pictures it's an outdoor pool though..lol Diver's Den Shop
PADI also has a shop locator on their website to find other locations in Boston or elsewhere. Seems like there should be something in Maine/Vermont you might be closer to? PADI | The Way the World Learns to Dive®

I second the Curacao recommendation. Much of the diving there is shallow, low current and the visibility is extremely good. I've been there in late April also. Here's a mostly complete list of dive operators - many at resorts. Most keep their boats on-site also. Curacao Dive operators

And there's the Dive Bus - they do guided shore dives/certifications - PADI. I believe they teach at Pierbaai Beach which is also a good dive. Later you can go with them to other shore dives, get familiar with them, and then return to dive them yourselves if you're comfortable with it. Welcome to the Dive Bus

Navigation on Curacao is simple, the reef parallels the shore line and if you try to go out away from the island it's readily apparent as the diving gets too deep - and featureless in some areas. Most dives you'll be able to see your entry point during the dive if necessary. Or some recognizable nearby landmark.

People here often recommend Bonaire for shore diving. Curacao is just as good - IMO better in some areas and the difference for new divers is you don't have to struggle to get over the ironshore like you do on Bonaire. Also there's more to do on Curacao when not diving, more shopping/dining, other attractions.

Out of the hurricane belt so weather is almost never a factor. Not that we've ever had a problem anywhere in the Caribbean - we do a spring group trip yearly and have yet to be "blown out" anywhere. We did have to dive in the rain a couple of times...lol.

Back
Top Bottom