Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading this thread I don't know what to do ? I have 40+ yrs diving and only have a AOW card ... I think I need to get busy....

Jim...

And to think I'm teaching my OW wife wreak diving at 100'....

Looking over the list of things that go into the AOW, I have done every one of them, multiple times..... I don't think the AOW does anything more than make you aware of these types of dives and encourage you to do them....

RJP's question about timing is a good one, I think. I think that, for most AOW classes, the person with 5 months of experience would find the class disappointing. (Bob Bailey's class is an exception!). BUT . . . the person who goes right out of OW and starts diving may, five months later, have solidified a whole MESS of bad habits (hand swimming, inefficient kicking technique) that will be hard to break. The person who did the additional five dives at the beginning might have had those tendencies extinguished, and after five months of diving, might be quite a bit better.

In Puget Sound, it is simply not POSSIBLE to create a polished diver in four OW dives. I would love to sell a combined OW/AOW class with nine dives, at the end of which I think most people would actually be pretty well prepared to be independent divers here. We did such a class a number of years ago, with a group of high school students, and it was a blast.

Back
Top Bottom