Certified-Compiled a gear list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With regard to the Datamask, beyond the loss of equipment concern, there's the consideration of above-the-surface ease of use. Would it not be easier to use a stand-alone computer when doing dive planning/review, double-checking fly time and other functions, rather than having to carry your mask around? It also requires that, while performing these functions, you either put up with viewing the small digits in the mirror when hand-held, or actually putting on the mask...

Having said this, I should must also admit that I enjoyed an in-shop try-on of the mask a year ago, when it was priced at a grand and a half Canadian, not the $999.00 that it's currently listed at on Leisurepro (closer to $1000, rather than the $900 you quoted).

Have fun - I'm also in shopping mode, and looking forward to attending a swap in Etobicoke (near Toronto) on the 16th!

Julian

Not much there that I would choose - and I don't even have anything against jacket BCs and snorkels with features, unlike many people on this board - but it doesn't really seem like you want opinions different than what you've already decided. I do think you are being more heavily influenced by your instructor and marketing than you realize.

As far as the datamask, perhaps it's a good tool for certain people in certain situations. But for most people I think this is a situation where "less is more." Not to mention half the cost of your gear going to mask/computer seems out of whack. How about this - buy a basic non-AI wrist computer now for around $300, and a regular mask. If after diving for a year you still really want the datamask, then you will have a spare mask and backup computer which is not a bad thing.

I see what you are saying, I really do. I just hate the idea of spending 300$ on a computer that I will want to replace in a few months. Lets be honest, I live in Hawaii, I live for this kind of stuff, I'll be diving like crazy. Not to mention I am a gadget lover. I would rather spend more money on something with features I don't need now, than to have to replace something with an even more expensive piece later. With that said, sure the datamask isn't required and having the computer screen in the mask is not needed to dive, but if its available, not out of my price range, and functions exactly like it is described, then why not?

We all want that nice sports car, but we can't afford it, once we can, we have it. Not because we need it, but because its a nice thing to have. Having that extra 300 HP isn't necessary to get to work, but its makes it a hell of a lot more fun to do so.

Please understand I do see what you are saying, but ive been through this before in another sport where I was told analog altimeters are better than digital or this AAD is better than that one, or I do or do not jump with an AAD for this reason. I bought a digital and will never ever look back. Jump an AAD and would never jump without one, and the list goes on and on. Ive also spent money on something in skydiving that I wish I hadn't, and the only reason I did so was because I was told so by someone else "this is the way it is". Because of that I am much more leery in the advice I am given. Granted, if I was buying something that could endanger my life, then sure I understand and make that point known.

This list isn't set in stone, it is simply a representation of the features I want in my gear, for example, the regulator I eventually buy doesn't HAVE to be the Delta 4, but Ill be damned if it doesn't have a swivel head, work in cold and warm water, and is more expensive than 500$. I don't HAVE to get the sherwood BCD but I do want a jacket style with a Air 2 inflator. Etc... I only chose those specific models because of the research I did. Sure there are cheaper or more expensive models or brands that do the same thing, but when I compared them all, the one I picked seemed to be the middle ground.

Anyways, I also remember doing this exact thing for skydiving and remember it always being a point of debate no matter what gear you choose, not only because you're new, but because you are asking a community whose opinions and preferences vary so widely that you're foolish to think the majority will agree. Anyways nevermind, I am going to get gear, and I am going have a great time diving. Cya in the water.:D

-Evo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom