Proper mask cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mridude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I expect there will be some very opinionated contributions to this, but I had to post this.

The boat I have been diving on for many years uses a product called Axion to clean masks. It is kind of like ajax :oops:. There are lots of advanced divers on this boat and nobody has ever questioned the use of this product. In fact most swear by it. I have been using it for years also. Recently I had to buy a new mask. I cleaned it at home and dove with it with no issues. Then I cleaned it with the axion. Now it fogs a bit and just appears to get hazy. I am sure it is a coincidence...like I said everyone uses this stuff including me. Opinions?

axion.png
axion.png

My understanding is that some newer/more expensive masks have coatings that may be damaged by such scouring. What kind of mask is it? Have you tried cleaning at home again?

Did they reformulate it?
Only thing I have ever used is the cheap paste toothpaste from the dollar store. Only thing I will recommend to students as well.
The last item in the list would ensure I'd never use it!
What are the ingredients in Axion dish paste?
Not regulated as a DOT hazardous material. CLEAN WATER ACT: Contains sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate, sodium hydroxide and sulfuric acid which are Section 311 materials. CERCLA: Section 102 (Reportable Quantity - RQ) 40 CFR 302: The Reportable Quantity (RQ) for this product to the environment is 4,167 lbs.

And yeah, some of the newer masks have updated coatings.

It was a ScubaMax Abaco Single Lens Oversize Dive Mask. Not terribly expensive. No I havent tried cleaning it again.

It was a ScubaMax Abaco Single Lens Oversize Dive Mask. Not terribly expensive. No I havent tried cleaning it again.
I use

Jaws, Scrub Mask & Slate Cleaner for Diving Masks and Underwater Slates, Alcohol & Bleach Free, 1 Oz​

Works great and less abrasive than other products

As a retailer of dive masks, we frequently deal this issue. Dive masks should not persistently fog if the glass is reasonably clean. A more illuminating question is "WHY does my recently purchased dive mask persistently fog unless repeatedly treated with some kind of defog ritual?"

The answer for the primary cause of persistent fogging was supplied to us by the late Noel Brown, who established Oceanways & SeaDive brands - one of the most long established and well known manufacturer and distributor of dive masks. The cause is the mold release chemical used in the manufacture of the flexible silicone skirt. The mold release agents are volatile by their nature and during storage will migrate to the surface of the lens to cause fogging. This is often the case when the mask has been sealed in an air-tight box or plastic bag. These stubborn deposits can be safely removed with an extra application of a powerful non-abrasive surfactant like liquid dish soap, baby shampoo, or the commercial mask cleaners.

The mask may persistently fog at first, requiring repeated cleaning, but with the passage of time the mold release agents will dissipate naturally and the issue will resolve itself. To hasten the dissipation of the mold release agents from the mask silicone, store the mask so that it is exposed to air between dive trips and avoid the use of sealed boxes or use a sealed box only for transport in the dive bag. (This is why our own DGX Gears brand masks ship with a padded mesh bag rather than a plastic box.) Do NOT let the mask get hot during transport, i.e. keep your dive bag (or at least the mask box) out of the sun.

Don't use toothpaste or any other other abrasive on modern dive masks, especially those masks that have optical quality ultra-clear glass lenses, vision correction lenses or 'optical coatings' on the lenses. You will either damage the lenses, or needlessly waste toothpaste since most modern toothpaste formulations are not at all abrasive nor are they particularly effective as a surfactant.

A secondary cause of persistent fogging is that most open-circuit divers have the unconscious habit of dribbling warm moist gas out their nose during the exhale, which then dribbles out the edges of their mask skirt and is camouflaged by their second stage exhaust. This is very noticeable when training new closed-circuit rebreather divers where the tiny bubbles are now easily observed. It can take as much as an hour to teach CCR students to stop dribbling gas out their nose when they exhale out their mouth and some never stop completely... the moment they become task loaded the behavior returns. Instead of using a surfactant cleaner, the divers that have issues with persistent fogging on even well cured masks as a result of leaking gas out their nose during exhale will benefit from using one of the defog gel coatings that inhibit the fog formation.

As a retailer of dive masks, we frequently deal this issue. Dive masks should not persistently fog if the glass is reasonably clean. A more illuminating question is "WHY does my recently purchased dive mask persistently fog unless repeatedly treated with some kind of defog ritual?"

The answer for the primary cause of persistent fogging was supplied to us by the late Noel Brown, who established Oceanways & SeaDive brands - one of the most long established and well known manufacturer and distributor of dive masks. The cause is the mold release chemical used in the manufacture of the flexible silicone skirt. The mold release agents are volatile by their nature and during storage will migrate to the surface of the lens to cause fogging. This is often the case when the mask has been sealed in an air-tight box or plastic bag. These stubborn deposits can be safely removed with an extra application of a powerful non-abrasive surfactant like liquid dish soap, baby shampoo, or the commercial mask cleaners.

The mask may persistently fog at first, requiring repeated cleaning, but with the passage of time the mold release agents will dissipate naturally and the issue will resolve itself. To hasten the dissipation of the mold release agents from the mask silicone, store the mask so that it is exposed to air between dive trips and avoid the use of sealed boxes or use a sealed box only for transport in the dive bag. (This is why our own DGX Gears brand masks ship with a padded mesh bag rather than a plastic box.) Do NOT let the mask get hot during transport, i.e. keep your dive bag (or at least the mask box) out of the sun.

Don't use toothpaste or any other other abrasive on modern dive masks, especially those masks that have optical quality ultra-clear glass lenses, vision correction lenses or 'optical coatings' on the lenses. You will either damage the lenses, or needlessly waste toothpaste since most modern toothpaste formulations are not at all abrasive nor are they particularly effective as a surfactant.

A secondary cause of persistent fogging is that most open-circuit divers have the unconscious habit of dribbling warm moist gas out their nose during the exhale, which then dribbles out the edges of their mask skirt and is camouflaged by their second stage exhaust. This is very noticeable when training new closed-circuit rebreather divers where the tiny bubbles are now easily observed. It can take as much as an hour to teach CCR students to stop dribbling gas out their nose when they exhale out their mouth and some never stop completely... the moment they become task loaded the behavior returns. Instead of using a surfactant cleaner, the divers that have issues with persistent fogging on even well cured masks as a result of leaking gas out their nose during exhale will benefit from using one of the defog gel coatings that inhibit the fog formation.
Not sure I follow. This statement seems contradictive.

if "most modern toothpaste formulations are not at all abrasive" how will toothpaste damage the lense.

Not sure I follow. This statement seems contradictive.

if "most modern toothpaste formulations are not at all abrasive" how will toothpaste damage the lense.
Some are, and can.

I usually use dawn to clean and defog before each dive. I get fogging issues all the time if I don't treat the masks first. It happens and there's a fix, so no big deal.

I don't exhale through my nose.

I’ve found Dawn dishwashing detergent works well to clean masks.

Back
Top Bottom