Chance of hurricane in the Bay this weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know...but I was trying to be gracious and allow for the fact that maybe since they are sometimes affected by more waves they have adopted a "different" attitude about storm preparedness :wink:
Sounds like they didn't care what happened to guests whose planes were scheduled to leave a day later as long as they got to leave. There may be more to the story, but we haven't seen it.

A couple of computer guesses put Matt back onto the Bay, but the others don't support that. Dr.Masters had thot that his remnants and/or the storm wannabe just across Central American on the Pacific side could push back onto water and reorganize, perhaps requiring a vote on whether to call it Matthew or Nicole, but I'm guessing he's just going to break up and rain on parades all over the area.

Happy diving...

My wife and I left AKR and Roatan on the 24th at the advice of AKR staff. As previously mentioned they had a meeting for all guests the evening of the 23rd. We flew TACA from Roatan/San Pedro Sula/San Salvador/Washington DC. Then we had to rent a car from DC to southeast Virginia. All in all we enjoyed out stay at AKR. We don't blame the owner for wanting to shut down before the storm. Better safe than sorry. We heard from someone who stayed behind due to lack of a way off Roatan that AKR took them back to the resort from the airport on the 24th, put them in a hillside room, provided regular meals until their departure on the 25th, and also extended happy hour at the bar.

When we flew out the morning of the 24th we flew over AKR and noticed the dive boats had already been taken away to safe harbor. Obviously the resort was taking no chances although the storm ended up being little to worry about. No hard feelings here. We will consider returning to AKR for another great week of diving in the future.

So how was the resort and the diving? Did you do the shark and/or dolphin dives?

So how was the resort and the diving? Did you do the shark and/or dolphin dives?

It was our first time at AKR and we thought it was great. Had a key a/c room. The diving was very nice - got in 16 dives, would have had 20 if not for the storm. The meals were varied and very good, never ate the same thing twice. All staff, including diving, were friendly and helpful. Didn't pay for shark or dolphin dives. We've seen our share of sharks over the years and we had wild dolphins come to play while doing our scheduled dives at AKR. The weather was 90F and sunny every day except Friday while leaving with the storm approaching. Had no problems with noseeums or mosquitos. AKR is a nice place and we'd go back again no question.

I was at the Reef House Resort this past week and all I can say is Mike, the owner, is awesome! He kept watching the storm and checking with Delta the last couple of days and was always keeping us informed. We had one couple with us who just had to leave. For some reason they expected the worse and paid $600 each to leave that Friday morning. We still got our dives in on Friday with Reef House and it was business as usual that day. Mike even told us that should things take a turn for the worse, he had places we could go if it came to that and if we were delayed in leaving by a day or so, he would take care of us. You can keep the big resorts. I'll take Mike and his operation any day. They are the best on the island.

Anybody know how SOSA is reacting to the weather this week re: flights from SAP-(LCE)-UTL? I'm getting reading to head to UDC [on Friday] for the next four months and just wanted to see what the local attitude for flying in this consistently "eh" weather is...

First time heading off to Utila... hope to see many of you there!

Thanks!

Too early to say on this new wave just organizing south of Cuba. Weather Underground has a page on it, but it's not functioning. Hoping it doesn't amount to anything. NHC gives is a 40% chance of making cyclone and current predicts it to head north, subject to change...

Last edited:
It is well past us, I am sorry but if as the previous poster has said it it organizing south of Cuba that is over 500 miles from Utila, if it is near Cuba it has already passed us.

But... but... then there's nothing to talk about! :shocked2:

the previous poster :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom