Chance of hurricane in the Bay this weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We didn't take them up on the offer, what are you going to do with one day at a place that only offers multiple day packages. Had they given us an option to stay and risk it, we would have. They told people they could stay but they were closing down, no diving and probably no staff so what are you going to do. We won't go back to AKR again. We had been there before about 5 years ago with our local dive shop and wanted to try it again on our own. We've done just about everywhere in the Carribean and have started repeating beginning with places we haven't been to in awhile. The dive operation at AKR is great, no complaints about them. The hotel side is not run so well. When they told us we had to get out they wouldn't even leave the dive lockers open past the usual 9pm time for people to get their gear out. When asked they just said they close at 9 as usual. Mind you, the meeting started at 6pm and after that everyone is scrambling trying to get off the island before worrying about getting their gear out of lockers. There is a military term for the whole situation I can't repeat here but starts with cluster.

Well, kiddies, as of now the Delta plane to Roatan is at the gate in Atlanta and boarding, so we will soon see. Matthew (or Someone) came visiting during the night, and we had so much wind I could barely get my room door open to peek out.:shocked2: We also lost power and had to go on Mike's generator. But now, just a moderate tropical breeze, and the sky is clear. A little too much surf for shore diving, but nothing that would stop the boats from going out. If that plane leaves Atlanta, I think we are home free. We are all packed up and awaiting the final word. Fingers are firmly crossed. Woody

Was at Athoney's Key this week. On Thurs. afternoon they called a meeting and basically told everyone they had to leave the next day (today).

We were out $232 for the flight from Roatan to San Pedro Sula but considered ourselves lucky in not paying for the Delta flight.

AKR is notorious for doing this to people over the years. Its like they do not want the responsibility or expense of housing and feeding guests who might be stranded extra days beyond their scheduled stay. They'd rather kick you out early and let you fend for yourself in getting home. Too bad. Hopefully you can recoup what you spent getting off the island.

Its early Saturday morning and everything is calm and quiet on Roatan. No rain, a little wind and seas have a slight chop on the south shore. We didn't get much of anything during the night except a bit of rain and slight wind. There's really no reason the scheduled flights from the U.S. couldn't travel here today.

The dive operation at AKR is great, no complaints about them. The hotel side is not run so well. When they told us we had to get out they wouldn't even leave the dive lockers open past the usual 9pm time for people to get their gear out.

That's so unfortunate. Anthony's Key is normally a top-notch organization. There is really no excuse for what you went through, but I would hope it was done for the safety of their guests. AKR is located on the north side of the island of Roatan, which is the windward side. Maybe they were exercising an abundance of caution to make sure you guys were not in danger. :confused::confused::confused:

Well, kiddies, as of now the Delta plane to Roatan is at the gate in Atlanta and boarding, so we will soon see. Matthew (or Someone) came visiting during the night, and we had so much wind I could barely get my room door open to peek out.:shocked2: We also lost power and had to go on Mike's generator. But now, just a moderate tropical breeze, and the sky is clear. A little too much surf for shore diving, but nothing that would stop the boats from going out. If that plane leaves Atlanta, I think we are home free. We are all packed up and awaiting the final word. Fingers are firmly crossed. Woody

Continential CO1805 departed Houston on time is now in flight and will arrive on Roatan according to their web site 2 minutes ahead of scheduled arrival.

AKR is located on the north side of the island of Roatan, which is the windward side.

For the majority of the year including this particular storm AKR and the northside are the leeward side of the island.

For the majority of the year including this particular storm AKR and the northside are the leeward side of the island.

I know...but I was trying to be gracious and allow for the fact that maybe since they are sometimes affected by more waves they have adopted a "different" attitude about storm preparedness :wink:

Well, adios then, Matthew... we hardly knew ye !

That was about as exciting as last year's big coup.

The next available time to rebook at AKR was October 23 so we just booked 8 days in Bonaire for the same week instead. October is the "rainy" season in Bonaire too but it looks like 3 inches in October instead of 17 inches for Roatan. The shore diving in Bonaire seems pretty convenient too.

Continental waived the change fee and just charged us the difference in the 2 airfares.

We'll try to rebook with AKR after our whale shark week with Deep Blue in Utila in March. What could be wrong with 2 weeks of diving.

Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom