Chance of hurricane in the Bay this weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Computer guesses are now expecting him to make Cat-1 before skirting the north coast of Honduras, then inland across Belize and maybe up into the Yucatan - subject to change. All pretty iffy of course, but that would be less damaging that skirting two coasts all the way to Cancun as previously guessed.

Whatever Friday's forecast becomes, check on your options and stay out of the way if it's still headed Roatan way - and wish the best for those scheduled to leave. Even if it does actually hit as a Cat-1, hopefully the airport will function on Sunday and the airlines can go in then. I once escaped Cancun on a plane that Continental flew in empty to evac customers. Two suggestions that worked well for me that trip...
Avoid the local airline numbers as they get backed up and shut down at night in some cases. Using skpye to call your airline's US reservations direct is much better, or was for me. Oh, I used my cell that trip, but either.

Ask the airline to accommodate you on needed changes as that word seems to have significance, i.e. no charges for changes.​
Well, I hope everyone got Trip insurance before it was too late, but best to avoid expenses if convenient.

Good news: He was expected to land as a Cat-1 on Honduras and Belize both, but has lost some overnight - and his projected path is no longer up the Belize & Yucatan coast over water, but rather going inland over Belize. At least as much as computer guesses go....

Just might be some of those heavy rains in store for the Islands, but Continental has not issued any flight warnings as yet. May want to carry a slicker in your roll-on, or a clean garbage bag with a head & arm holes...?

Anthony's Key is evacuating today so we are screwed either way.

They can rebook us at the end of October but that's well into the official rainy season.

Were else can we go on short notice.

Doug

They can rebook us at the end of October but that's well into the official rainy season.

Doug

Ok now all joking aside for all you folks there, stay safe, best wishes, and hope you bought travel insurance during the Hurricane season.

Doug
Damn, that sucks. I'm surprised. They refund your money? Will your airline allow a free change?

Hope you got Trip Ins. I always do for international trips more for the medical coverage, etc. but certainly during hurricane season as caca happens.
caca-1.png

Fortunately Anthony's will let us rebook anytime within the next year without a penalty.

Continental hasn't canceled the flight from Houston to Roatan but once they do we can get a refund or rebook without a penalty.

The question now is, do we rebook with Anthony's later in October during the rainy season or go somewhere else like Bonaire and then go to Anthony's in the new year.

We are scheduled for a whale shark week on Utila in March so doing the week at Anthony's before or after the Utila week would certainly work.

Doug

Kind of like when they evacuated a year or so ago and flew people to the mainland CLOSER to the storm. It,s just a tropical storm and should die down quickly once it hits the Nica/Honduras land, Whats the panic? If i were staying in Mosquitia i might be concerned but holy moly, Seems like the AKR liability lawyeres may have made this call

It does seems like they may be over reacting but I guess they want to be safe. Before I called them I thought we may just have to hang out in Houston for an extra day and fly to Roatan on Sunday but that's not an option now.

With the bad weather forecast for next week though I'm not too disappointed to have to reschedule.

What's the next best option for diving this time of year?

Cozumel is nice, unless Matt goes that way after all. :D

Back
Top Bottom