Chance of hurricane in the Bay this weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not on the island now, but I heard from a friend at Fantasy Island who told me they are moving the dive boats around to the back side of the Key for shelter, but that they don't expect anything drastic. I think by tommorow the worst will be over and things will be getting back to normal. As others have mentioned, rain runoff causes problems with visibility for a day or two, but some sites are worse than others.

They are open for business and if anyone needs an alternate resort I would recommend them highly :D

Hi Dwight,

Everything is working !! All of our guest went diving as usual this morning and now they are at the zip line for some fun. Hopefully Delta will fly tomorrow. See you later.

Thanks
Peggy

I just received this reply from the Reef House...

I'm not on the island now, but I heard from a friend at Fantasy Island who told me they are moving the dive boats around to the back side of the Key for shelter, but that they don't expect anything drastic. I think by tommorow the worst will be over and things will be getting back to normal. As others have mentioned, rain runoff causes problems with visibility for a day or two, but some sites are worse than others.

They are open for business and if anyone needs an alternate resort I would recommend them highly :D
What's the next best option for diving this time of year?
Get your money back from AKR, get your credit card to back you up, fly to RTB, board FI bus - but make reservations first. :eyebrow:

Get your money back from AKR, get your credit card to back you up, fly to RTB, board FI bus - but make reservations first. :eyebrow:

Or take AKR up on their offer to grant you a week at another time and enjoy the experience of a fantastic week at one of Roatan's many premiere A/I operations!!!!!
You will not regret it!

Is anyone at Roatan now? Wonder what the scene is at any of the properties, West End, dive Ops?

I guess you didn't see my postings in this forum under "we made it to Reef House". Today we finished our last dives without any difficulty other than a little rain. Very little wind, although that is starting to change a little as I type this. Tomorrow should prove educational.:D Woody

Was at Athoney's Key this week. On Thurs. afternoon they called a meeting and basically told everyone they had to leave the next day (today). Mad scrambles by everyone trying to get out. We weren't supposed to leave until Sat. on Delta. AKR offered anyone that wanted it one free day of diving some other time. We managed to talk Delta into putting us on the flight out of San Pedro Sula at noon today and waive the cost. Had to pay for a flight from Roatan to San Pedro Sula. AKR had buses transporting everyone to the airport at 6 am and the manager went along to the airport to help everyone arrange for flights out of Roatan. Most people I spoke to had to pay for their flights back to the states and some were having to spend the night in San Pedro Sula and flying out on Sat. Delta has not cancelled the flight going to Roatan on Sat. or the flight leaving. AKR did tell people if they wanted to stay on the island they could but that they were shutting down. I looked on their web site and they have shut down. We only missed two dives today but it was a real pain trying to arrange everything to get out of there. We had no cell service but AKR did let us use their phones. We left AKR at 6 this morning and arrived home in Athens, GA around 8 pm. We were out $232 for the flight from Roatan to San Pedro Sula but considered ourselves lucky in not paying for the Delta flight.

Wow, don't know what facts AKR used to make that decision, but at first blush it sure seems like a gross overreaction of their part to place all their customers in that kind of bind. Seems like it could have been handled with an "option" rather than just "leave".

Dayem! :mad: I never wanted to stay at AKR, but if there was ever any doubt in my mind - it ain't there now. That sounds pretty pathetic. At its worst projections Thursday, it was expected to be a Cat-1, which of course fell overnight.
AKR offered anyone that wanted it one free day of diving some other time.
I know where I'd tell them to put that...!

Now, when I evacuated Coz in advance of an expected direct hit of a Cat-5, most of my group scrambled to buy tickets. I was a little irritated that the leader had not bothered to tell me they were leaving, but tried to offer suggestions on how I'd booked my tentative no fee escape - except they were too involved with the two computers on the desk. Oh, there were other irritations - so I went to breakfast, a dive trip, then packed to leave the next day. Later on that small forum many whined about extra ticket costs and I reminded them of Trip Ins discussions prior to that trip and how much they saved not buying. :D I still chuckle at that circus.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom