Channel Islands--Best time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drtgibbs

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can someone with alot of diving experience in the Channel Islands area let me know when the best time is for going for a dive there? Whne is the kelp thick and healthy, visibility good, and critters interesting!

I've had one dive to Catilina 2 years ago in Sept.. The area was barren and the kelp on its side on the seafloor. The dive shop said that Sept wasn't good because that was when the kelp dies off. This is what I don't want to see! I'll probably be looking for a overnight from Santa Barbara or Ventura. Called a couple of shops in that area and the staff unfortuately were not helpful.

Thanks for the advice!

Tom Gibbs

I certainly don't have a lot of experience diving the channel islands but I can tell you what I've encountered. I've dove Santa Cruz Island twice so far and both times was during the tale end of summer. Typically the summer months bring ocean temps up and as a result kelp deteriorates. With kelp deteriorating and higher microbial life "from the warm water", visibility issues can occur. But I got to tell you, I've never seen it. My two trips to Santa Cruz Island brought visibility between 30-50 ft and that's being somewhat conservative. Typically from what I hear, Fall is a great season to dive the Channel Islands or anywhere in So Cal for that matter. At this time of year the water is warm enough to dive in comfort and yet its cold enough for kelp to thrive and microbial levels stay down. Also I believe certain parts of Anacapa are only open during the months of Nov-Dec "correct me if I'm wrong", so if your planning to come out this season. Its good enough time then any. Don't let your trip to Catalina in September deter you from diving So Cal islands in late summer. I've dove Catalina during all parts of the year and can tell you its almost always good. You probably just got skunked and by chance hit a bad day. What spots did you dive when you were there?

Fall is generally very good as the warm water is still warm but the vis is (and certainly was again this year) amazing. However, early winter is also very good but winter storms can sometimes wreck a good day.

I've been to boring dive spots that don't have a lot of sceneries, but as a whole, it's always good for me. Sometimes the visibility is murkier and sometimes it's really nice. The kelp beds seem to be thick year round. But then I'm not a marine biologist, just a simple SoCal diver.

Simple answer- Now.

Vis has been good all over, not too cold yet.

Vis may get a little better in the winter but it goes along with the colder water and more storms.

November and December have always been my favorite months for California diving.

TC: you beat me to it. The best Channel Islands diving is RIGHT NOW. Last weekend at Anacapa the vis was 50ft+, temps were 57F, and the water was flat calm. Here are a couple photos. In my opinion, some of the best diving is in the winter if you dodge the storms.

Great pictures Steve!

Here's a short video I took earlier this month.
[vimeo]2200343[/vimeo]

Those are some great W/A shots Steve and a sweet vid Dave! Diving in so-cal is great year round, I've had 120ft+ of vis in the summer months and lots of life. As stated above the kelp is typically thicker in the winter, not year round but you can always find some no matter what season it is. If you want kelp I say stick to the northern islands where the water temps are cooler. Personally I'm a big fan of Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa, you get the best of everything, big and small.

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom