Channel Islands--Best time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OH wow!!! A sunfish at Anacapa!!!

I wonder why that bastard wasn't around when I dove there. Humph!

They're present all over the Channel Islands. From what I've read they spend most of their time between 200fsw and 1500fsw. Unless you're diving really deep that's probably why you didn't see the "bastard."

Billy

This is only the third time I have seen them while diving in the Channel Islands. I have seen them a few times from the boat when the Mola Mola were on the surface "sunning" themselves (hence the name).

The kelp is thicker and healthier in late spring and early summer, but viz can be an issue. That said, the islands usually don't have the viz issues the mainland has. Anacapa is usually the clearest but so can the other islands. I usually dive the Northern Channel Islands and I find Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa to have the best all around diving. My guess is you simply for unfortunate and dove a boring site.......Now that I have rambled, I will retract everything I just said and tell you that I think anytime of year "with calm water" the Islands are awesome! Bruce

Hey! I'm having trouble getting my vimeo videos to post on the board. I just pasted the embedded code from the vimeo video to the text box for the thread but I just comes up as code? I'm sure it's something simple. Hope you can help. Thanks

Hey! I'm having trouble getting my vimeo videos to post on the board. I just pasted the embedded code from the vimeo video to the text box for the thread but I just comes up as code? I'm sure it's something simple. Hope you can help. Thanks

Type this in
[vimeo]123456[/vimeo]

or just post vimeo123456 and I'll embed it for you.:wink:

I have been diving 15 times this year from August to Mid-November around the islands and have mostly great experiences. Later in the fall seems to have been a bit better for viz but overall it is great. If you want to make sure you get a great kelp forest experience try to get a dive boat that will anchor in one of the marine protected areas, especially the no take zones.

We have been diving in California for the past 4 years, only in Aug-Sept and thought it was fabulous!
my videos from this past trip, first week in August, to San Clemente and Catalina:
[vimeo]1480280[/vimeo]

vis was anywhere from 40' at some sites to 80' at others. It isn't the Caribbean, but I think it is some of the best diving in the world!

[vimeo]1486353[/vimeo]

robin:D

I did dive the Channel Islands year-round for nearly 20 years from very warm summer days to days were we had to avoid the ice slick sections of deck on the old Sea Venture. My knee jerk response is "anytime you can get to the Channel Islands is a good time" but I really agree with the consensus of the responses of the threat...Autumn is the best time. The overcast is gone, so you get clear and warm days, the seas are down so you get a smooth passage, vis is up, water temps haven't yet plunged and the critters are still abundant. Keep in mind, different islands seem to have different times. Some folks refer to San Clemente Island as the "summer island." I was there in August and tend to agree. But for my money, the best time to visit the northern Channel Islands, especially Anacapa and Santa Cruz, is the Autumn.

Does anyone have a recommendation for boats going to the channel islands? I'm thinking of going to Anacapa with Truth Aquatics in April.
thanks,
Alex

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom