Charter Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok,

The boat I used to work on did more than "bring you to a site". We would bring you to the sight and hook in. Make sure the site was safe for diving (ie current, other boats in the area), give a detailed dive briefing, etc. Try to make it fun for the entire day. During the SI, we had a BBQ on the back and the Capt. would always be cooking something. Some of our clients would joke that they came to eat, then dive. What do you want from a dive boat?

Eric

Originally posted by ericfine50
Ok,

The boat I used to work on did more than "bring you to a site". We would bring you to the sight and hook in. Make sure the site was safe for diving (ie current, other boats in the area), give a detailed dive briefing, etc. Try to make it fun for the entire day. During the SI, we had a BBQ on the back and the Capt. would always be cooking something. Some of our clients would joke that they came to eat, then dive. What do you want from a dive boat?

Eric

Sounds like you ran a great trip! I've worked boats where we provided sodas and snacks (pineapples work well) but never hot meals!

The hookup, briefing, and safety should be be part of ALL trips, certainly not optional.

Tom

I been on a few boats where the briefing was "here we are... be back by 2pm"

Eric

Just my .02$ worth
I'm a charter Captain the wrecks I take customers to are all moored by POW The lines and hardware cost a great deal, and we {pow} have never given out GPS numbers. The numbers are fairly well known. But if asked my request is that you make a small donation to POW or that you join POW and support us.
Most divers will never go out and buy a boat but the ones that have one have just as much right as I do going on the wrecks.
I have had as many as 7 or 8 smaller boats rafted to me, it usually make for a good time. Which is why most people dive.

Originally posted by wannabe
If they don't want to give you numbers they know they don't offer much in the way of service to get you to come back.

If you have never owned a commercial dive boat than you can be excused for your remark but the truth is that the location numbers are hard earned and very expensive.

If you think that owning a dive boat is a great way to get rich and have fun then you need to look at the business case, it is really diffent than you might think. Most boats rely on repeats on their boat rathar than without them to "their" wrecks. I guess this is kind of like going to a LDS to pick their brains as to what equipment to buy, then buying it on line, and then complaining at the LDS because they don't stock the parts for your gear.

Boats like LDS provide a service, use it or don't but don't steal it.

Posted by dkigreg
"Boats like LDS provide a service, use it or don't but don't steal it."

I think that's a little harsh. Lettiing customers bring a GPS along is a courtosey that I, for one, would appreciate and show my gratitude with my tip. I have numbers for all the wrecks I'm chartering to dive this spring/summer and I plan on heading out to them with my own small boat for fishing and diving. This is not like a case of a mystery U-Boat, I'm going to dive these wrecks on my own no matter what, but, having the exact confirmed number will probabley save me some search time.
Although I have my own boat, I still enjoy the whole charter experince, so I don't think I'm taking money out of anyone's pockets.

That said, I will understand if any Captain doesn't want to bring my GPS along, although given the choice of diving a boat where I could bring it and one where GPSs are not allowed, this might become a big consideration in choosing where to bing my (and my friends) business.

**Just got word from some a charter I'm diving with this
weekend, no problem with the GPS**
I won't post the name of the charter here, but, any local guys feel free to PM me about the name of this Charter Company.

A business needs to be unique to survive in today's world if they aren't they have a commodity and there will always be someone to compete on price. You said most boats rely on repeats that means one of two things they offer great service (which I will gladly pay for) or they are the cheapest. Each person has expectations of service per dollar spent.

So what if I have never owned a charter, you are talking about public places as if you own them. Provide a unique service and you will be rewarded, provide a commodity and you will get undercut on price. Knowing where I have been is not theft of anything (remember public place). Would I enter a dive charter as a business? No F'n way. So what if I own a boat the cost of a charter is often less than the day out on the boat when all is considered and much less stressful. I boat as a recreation, I dive as another, sometimes they compliment each other sometimes not.

Back
Top Bottom