Charter in the keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1Cave Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anyone recommend a good, productive, spearfishing boat anywhere in the keys. Do any boats still go to the Dry Tortugas?

Finz goes there. They added a public charter this year in addition to their private full boat charter. Public charters are a whopping $839 per diver and from their posted schedule one about once per month and require a 4 diver minimum.

From my notes:

2021-11 spoke to Finz. You must charter the entire 6 pack for $2300 plus $55 per diver plus any gear rentals. That’s for 3 dives, a 4th dive incurs another fee. If you do 3 dives you can check out the fort. Around 4 hours travel time round trip. 10-12 hours total.

Finz goes there. They added a public charter this year in addition to their private full boat charter. Public charters are a whopping $839 per diver and from their posted schedule one about once per month and require a 4 diver minimum.

From my notes:

2021-11 spoke to Finz. You must charter the entire 6 pack for $2300 plus $55 per diver plus any gear rentals. That’s for 3 dives, a 4th dive incurs another fee. If you do 3 dives you can check out the fort. Around 4 hours travel time round trip. 10-12 hours total.
That's crazy pricing.
I miss the Spree, they did not spear fish, but you could go to the Tortugas for 5 days at $1200.
How about any charters in the in the keys, recommendations?

Anyone know if Finz Dry Tortugas trips for 3 tanks can be made to any of the following wrecks:

U-2513
S-16
USS Wilkes-Barre CL-103
USS Fred T. Berry DD-858
USS Saulfley DD-465
USS Kendrick DD-612

Anyone know if Finz Dry Tortugas trips for 3 tanks can be made to any of the following wrecks:

U-2513
S-16
USS Wilkes-Barre CL-103
USS Fred T. Berry DD-858
USS Saulfley DD-465
USS Kendrick DD-612
I’d imagine that if you are privately chartering, they would take you anywhere you want. Good luck getting anything you shoot past the jewfish and sharks on Wilkes barre…it’s an adventure for sure.

That's crazy pricing.
And it's a one day limit, not an overnite 2 day limit so in many species that's 1 fish you can bring home. Those Publix prices don't look so bad now, lol!

I’d imagine that if you are privately chartering, they would take you anywhere you want. Good luck getting anything you shoot past the jewfish and sharks on Wilkes barre…it’s an adventure for sure.
We set up my wife on the mast with camera to take pictures when we started ascending up the line to catch the action.
BTW several of those wrecks are way E from the Tortugas.

Thanks for the info about the Dry Tortugas. Now how about some info on good spearfishing boat in the keys. I guess I should have specified Dive spear fishing boat, not charter. I spend all my money on dive gear, I can't afford a private charter.
I grew up in Key Largo and did a lot of spear fishing, buts its been 25 years since I left.

Thanks for the info about the Dry Tortugas. Now how about some info on good spearfishing boat in the keys. I guess I should have specified Dive spear fishing boat, not charter. I spend all my money on dive gear, I can't afford a private charter.
I grew up in Key Largo and did a lot of spear fishing, buts its been 25 years since I left.
Honestly, you are better off renting a boat or finding another spearo that will let you tag along.
Boats down there just don’t run trips to good spearing spots, because their tourist customer base is barely competent to dive the dry rocks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom