Chatterton's dive practices..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SamDiver14

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just ordered a new book by, is John, Chatterton. As I understand he is a tech diver and I was wondering if the general viewpoint is that he knows his stuff or is he just a little hype and marketing? I am just looking into the tech field and would like some feedback. I mean everyone knows Jacque Cousteau but if you watch some of his dive movies you see those guys doing all sorts of stuff they shouldn't. Of course, that may have been in the days when they just didn't know any better. The question is I guess how legit is this Chatterton fellow and is he worth listening to. If he happens to read this I wouldn't mind his opinion on why I should listen to him either.

I'm just a cute little dive baby looking to learn everything.

Yes, John Chatterton is well known & respected. East coast wreck diver, discovered the U-Who, a U-boat whose identity he later discovered. Also star of History channel show Deep Sea Detectives. He is, IMO, worth listening to.

SamDiver14:
Hey guys,

I just ordered a new book by, is John, Chatterton. As I understand he is a tech diver and I was wondering if the general viewpoint is that he knows his stuff or is he just a little hype and marketing? I am just looking into the tech field and would like some feedback. I mean everyone knows Jacque Cousteau but if you watch some of his dive movies you see those guys doing all sorts of stuff they shouldn't. Of course, that may have been in the days when they just didn't know any better. The question is I guess how legit is this Chatterton fellow and is he worth listening to. If he happens to read this I wouldn't mind his opinion on why I should listen to him either.

Yes John is worth listening to. Anybody who has read the last dive or Deep Descent is familiar with John C. and is discovery of U-869 (U-WHO) and other east coast shipwreck like the Carolina. He was also on the Britannic 98 expledition.

Check www.deepesplorers.com for more info

Cheers

Hyper-limits:
Yes John is worth listening to. Anybody who has read the last dive or Deep Descent is familiar with John C.

Just don't accept everything in these books at face value.

cheers,

What is the name of the book? Is it written by him or does it
"star" him? "Shadow Divers" was not written by him but he is a central character.

John Chatterton (and RKohler, and Terrence Tysall and Brett Gilliam and George Irvine and Jarrod Jablonski and ....) have done more dives (and more demanding dives) than most of us combined will ever do. He, as with all the others, uses what works and is best for him. It might NOT work or be best for you.

SamDiver14:
Hey guys,

yes, as others have said, he is a well known diver, should know his stuff.

I attended a workshop he gave last month. I've also read about and heard a lot about him. He was pretty spot on with his problem solving theories in his workshop. He's definetly earned his stripes, but as was said what he does works for him and may not be the best option for everyone. That said I think a lot can be learned from him.

I read Chowdury's The Last Dive. I consumed that book voraciously. I loved it. Should be on a lot of diver's reading lists. It really makes you sit and think weeks after you finish the book.

KidK9:
I read Chowdury's The Last Dive. I consumed that book voraciously. I loved it. Should be on a lot of diver's reading lists. It really makes you sit and think weeks after you finish the book.

You might want to add on "Deep Descent" by McMurry, about the dives on the Doria, he also has new one out (which I have not read) "Dark Descent" about the Emperess of Ireland.
There are several titles by Gary Gentile also
Just to mention a few.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom