Cheap trip to Australia...Am I out of my mind??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My oldest daughter may be going to Aus, to represent the USA, in a swimming competition in July 2003. (if she makes the finals) I'll be able to go with her. Would only be able to dive once or twice while there. Any dive shop recommendations?

Kat wrote...
My oldest daughter may be going to Aus.... Would only be able to dive once or twice while there. Any dive shop recommendations?
You might want to be the teensiest bit more specific....

:jester:

That's kind of like saying "I am going to be visiting the United States of America for three days. Can anyopne recommend a good dive operator?"

Australia is a big continent. Where will the competition be held?

Kat once bubbled...
My oldest daughter may be going to Aus, to represent the USA, in a swimming competition in July 2003. (if she makes the finals) I'll be able to go with her. Would only be able to dive once or twice while there. Any dive shop recommendations?

Natasha once bubbled...
What I am saying is someone posing as a certified insured travel agent, to get our discounts is not fair or right.
To earn travel agent discounts, and have aan IATAN card,you should be a person selling 50,000 a year in travel. I will report this company that is not following the rules.
I can get back to you on what my the IATAN organization says, in a new thread.

Natasha - you are absolutely correct. I work for a major hotel chain, and we instruct our hotels to only honor the discount if an IATAN card is presented. We also put out periodic alerts on the business card mills that pop up.

It personally irritates me that people cheat like this - getting something they are not entitled to.

Marc

Maybe you FLL and Natasha should start a new thread warning others about this. I almost signed up for that program and I am glad that I found out that most hotels won't accept that particular card. I would rather just do the travel agent certification the right way and be able to get the discounts fairly.

Raviepoo & Metridium...sorry about that. I forgot this wasn't the psycic hotline. :D I somehow left out the most important part ...location. Duh. Training will be in Cairns, in Queensland. That is where we'll be staying. We will also be in Sydney, doing a bit of sightseeing.

ASTA's Consumer Affairs Department cautions consumers to beware of offers from "card mills:" companies which sell questionable travel agent credentials. Consumers may be led to believe that such cards allow them to travel at free or reduced fares. Organizations making these offers are known throughout the travel industry as card mills because they routinely offer credentials by the thousands in the form of an identification card that is sold for a significant fee. In turn, these cards would presumably be accepted by every segment of the travel industry.

Many suppliers of travel, however, do not accept them.

In recent months, ASTA's Consumer Affairs Department has received an increase of calls from consumers being wooed by these card mill operators. Most of those solicited have been promised that they can get all the benefits of being a travel agent. However, ASTA cautions that the industry has become much more vigilant in clamping down on those using card mill credentials.

If you have received an offer to purchase a card that supposedly allows you to receive travel agent benefits or discounts, call ASTA's Consumer Affairs Department at (703) 739-8739 for information and guidance.

Australia is absolutely great! Super diving, friendly people, and a variety of fun things to see and do when not diving. A new definition of Paradise. I did 4 live-aboard trips in 2001, the Great Barrier Reef, Burma, Papua New Guinea Kavieng and The Coral Sea. Undoubtedly, Mike Ball's Coral Sea trip was FAR superior to any other live aboard trip I've done to date.
They depart out of Townsville and dive the wreck of the Yongala (super!) and then go out, past the Great Barrier Reef to the Coral Sea's Flinder's reefs. Visibility in the GBR can be restricted in comparison the the Coral Sea, but truthfully both are nice.

I was in Australia for 2 months May-June and found that the key to saving money was planning on going at low season.

Airlines have high prices during the USA winter season (which is Australia's summer) and also during USA summer months.
By going between these high season's in May my airfare on United was $799 R/T San Fran to Sydney and another $350 R/T SYD to Cairns. I booked it on the UAL website - as airlines no longer give travel agents the discounts that they once had.

The Cairns area has a monsoon season from Jan-Mar and in July the high priced season starts as tourists arrive. On a friend's suggestion (who had done it before) I made no advanced arrangments and arrived in May to take advantage of "Standby" diving prices. These are just what they sound like, unfilled seats on trips that are offer at a discounted price to attract last minute buyers. At this time of year nearly all the boats had these discount spots available. In addition other activities like white water rafting, bungee jumping, and parachuting had similar discounts.
BUT JUST HOW MUCH CAN YOU SAVE?

PRICE GOUGING JAPANESE AND AMERICANS

An unfortunate fact is that most pre-booked trips out of Cairns seem to gouge Japanese and Americans. Mike Ball's pricing is no different and in discussing it with other divers it became evident that pricing depends on where you come from;
Japanese are charged the highest prices and Americans are just slightly under that with native Aussies being the lowest. If you look at the Mike Ball website YOU WILL NOT FIND PRICES LISTED, rather you will have to email them and request pricing. I did this prior to my trip and received a quote of $2400.00 US Dollars. I didn't book it, but was amazed at how much I saved by waiting until I arrived there.

WANT PROOF?
Below is a scan of the standard brochure, but because I waited and booked through a local Cairns office this brochure has the local "STANDBY" prices in the black box on the top. You will not find this brochure anywhere else, except in Cairns at the numerous travel agents and also at Mike Ball's offices.
(NOTE that the price of $1696 is in Aussie dollars and roughly equivalent to $900.00 US.

Click here to see Mike Ball's brochure

Trip-n-tour just quoted me from Grand Rapids, Mich. to Cairns and one week stay in a 4-1/2 star hotel round trip for $2000. each, try them, I think you could save some money for a down payment on a house.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom