cheap waterproof cannister ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still very suspect of this entire thread. A 2" pipe needed for some rental car keys? And not wanting to get a non-functioning dive light for a few $ or even free where the work is already done? The whole thing sounds very fishy. Maybe we should refer this thread to TSA? Or DEA?

Wet truck keys and wet money are pretty common for Bonaire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check your LDSs for dead dive lights. I wouldn't trust any of the modern keys with chips to survive. Even the key to my van that looks like a "dumb" key has a chip and has to be programmed. Replacements are $200 with programming.

Other than a bunch of turds I did get one decent response from airspeed press directly. I will post the granger link for the recommended part.

http://www.grainger.com/product/3EJ...3EJN2&ef_id=Ul6rPQAABLjqRzqi:20131227165510:s

As a final note. I am very disappointed with everybody that responded to this post. Especially the member that was threatening to report me to the DEA and TSA. This is the DIY forum not the go to the store and buy it forum.

when they hand you the rusty key in Bonaire you will know that it has been in the water. we usually just stuff it under a rock near by. the stores all accept wet money. and my CC is waterproof and has been plenty deep in my pocket.

I got a tube from OMS very cheap that holds my EPrib for when I go with shady operators that may leave me in the ocean alone.

The OMS tube is exactly what I am going for. I'm not sure if this item is DCed or not but I would imagine that I can get it done for less than the 40.00 msrp. Refresh my memory the OMS tube screws in and is oringed?

Other than a bunch of turds I did get one decent response from airspeed press directly. I will post the granger link for the recommended part.

TEST-TITE Test Plug,Mechanical,T-Cone,2 In - Pipe and Test Plugs - 3EJN2|86385 - Grainger Industrial Supply

As a final note. I am very disappointed with everybody that responded to this post. Especially the member that was threatening to report me to the DEA and TSA. This is the DIY forum not the go to the store and buy it forum.

The OMS tube is exactly what I am going for. I'm not sure if this item is DCed or not but I would imagine that I can get it done for less than the 40.00 msrp. Refresh my memory the OMS tube screws in and is oringed?

The OMS canister had been discontinued for a long time. Yes, the ends are threaded and have O-rings. As far as your taking offense at my comments, I couldn't give a rat's ass. It doesn't matter that this is the DIY forum. I never suggested buying anything. But I did question why someone is committed to using a length of 2 inch diameter pipe just to hold a rental car key. We have had officials come to local dive club meetings and talk about reporting strange requests. Yours sounded very strange and still does. So I don't give a **** if you are disappointed.

I am also disappointed in you i gave several diy options that fit the requirements as well as a secondary name for you to search for your " test plug" with out so much as a thanks butt no thanks if you had your mind set on a solution why powe the queetion .

This is a problem in diy as a general rule people just want to do what they were going to do anyways so bully to you

TEST-TITE Test Plug,Mechanical,T-Cone,2 In - Pipe and Test Plugs - 3EJN2|86385 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Your thread title is "cheap waterproof cannister ideas" not "I'm going to build a waterproof cannister and only a home-bodge will do."

Besides which, what's not DIY about re-purposing an old light? You've probably got buddies who would give you a dead light for nothing. Actually, given your attitude, perhaps you don't.

Anyway, your pipe end is only watertight to 50ft.

Another idea for a cheap/light canister would be to use an acrylic tube and rubber laboratory bungs like this:

IMG_20121112_115641.jpg

I've used these successfully down to 30m ( 98ft) and suspect they will go much deeper with no prob.. Just find a tube and bung diameter combination that will fit ( rubber slightly large dia than the internal diameter of the tube).. Parts are readily available off ebay and light for travelling...?

I'll agree with everyone else in that i don't see the need as i've returned quite a few sets of car keys that have been for a swim over the yrs ! Just feign ignorance, must be the battery!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom