Cheapest computer with liberal algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @OctopusLover

Why not get her a Peregrine?

What GFs do you run on your Peregrine? DSAT runs similarly to a GF high of 95, that would be an Oceanic Veo 4 or Geo 4, just a bit less expensive than a Peregrine.

Any of the RGBM computers, Cressi, Mares, or Suunto would likely be more conservative, especially repetitive dives

Most often folks run out of air sooner than that or the DM limits total time underwater. But OK, I'll keep an eye on that.

I think it has already been said by someone, but my advice is to dig into the wallet and buy another Peregrine. If nothing else, both of you will be be familiar with each other's computers when you dive together, and if, for example, you decide to change some setting on the Peregrines, be it conservatism, nitrox percentage, or whatever, you can do it together and be assured that you're each running the same settings. My wife and I dive Shearwaters and that's what we do.

Another vote for the Peregrine. That way you won't need to upgrade hers later when she says "hey, yours is easy to change the settings and they don't revert over night. I want THAT now!". I love my Peregrine. I really disliked how tedious it was to change setting on all previous computers - and of course the conservative algorithms of some were a pain (a Mares farkled a dive once - grrrr).

I love the peregrine. But it's expensive and she couldn't care less for the computer, I don't really think she's even interested in learning much about them, just seeing fish. Sounds kinda lame but a peregrine would be wasted on her. She doesn't even want one, she's happy to rent a different one every time 🤦‍♂️

I'll look into oceanic ones on eBay, thanks everyone!

I love the peregrine. But it's expensive and she couldn't care less for the computer, I don't really think she's even interested in learning much about them, just seeing fish. Sounds kinda lame but a peregrine would be wasted on her. She doesn't even want one, she's happy to rent a different one every time 🤦‍♂️

Sounds like you could let her make her decision and live with it. Rent/buy, it's her choice/$$ and then her outcome.

It would be more practical then to get the cheapest used one just to keep it on her hand since many operators require divers to have comps. Some will provide it for free, some will charge.

Hi @OctopusLover

I thought you might like to know what her NDL was without having to ask, thus the recommendation for the same computer. It she has a more conservative computer, puts it into deco, does not clear the stops, it will be unusable for a day or two.

How to find out if the algorithm is liberal?
I guess you’d need to test it?

Since you're in rightpondia, look for SEACs. Over here Action can be had for ~$220 which is about the cheapest new price these days. It runs ZH-L16 so should match you peregrine -- with he caveat that GF presets are fixed and the most "liberal" is apparently 85/85, i.e. you can't go DSAT-level "liberal".

Sounds like you could let her make her decision and live with it. Rent/buy, it's her choice/$$ and then her outcome.
The issue is, I'm stuck diving with her as a budy possibly forever, so her computer algorithm becomes my algorithm.
It would be more practical then to get the cheapest used one just to keep it on her hand since many operators require divers to have comps. Some will provide it for free, some will charge.
This is exactly the plan. Next trip is to Cozumel and I'm being quoted 10$ a day. Given we're there for 5 days, the 100$ oceanic one will pay for itself very fast
Hi @OctopusLover

I thought you might like to know what her NDL was without having to ask, thus the recommendation for the same computer. It she has a more conservative computer, puts it into deco, does not clear the stops, it will be unusable for a day or two.
Hence why I just want something that is more liberal than my peregrine, as then my peregrine becomes the computer that dictates when we go up not hers.

Since you're in rightpondia, look for SEACs. Over here Action can be had for ~$220 which is about the cheapest new price these days. It runs ZH-L16 so should match you peregrine -- with he caveat that GF presets are fixed and the most "liberal" is apparently 85/85, i.e. you can't go DSAT-level "liberal".
This reddit post suggests it's more conservative than pure buhlman somehow, and quite a lot

I'm seeing some really cheap old oceanics, I think I'll just go with that. Are there any models I should look out for?

Back
Top Bottom