Cheapest Gas near YOU...hang in there ohana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
And the compressors will run on magic and dreams and pixie dust? :wink:

yup ... dreams can be so much fun :wink:

I paid $3.60 the other day. Rural Northern California is the worst. Worse than Hawaii. It's such a scam up here. Every time I have been to Hawaii, it has been cheaper to fill up than at home. That makes sense, right? Since Oakland has a ton of refineries and Hawaii is the most remote populated landmass in the world. :wink:

ouch - you're only 6 cents less than we are - and probably have to drive a LOT more

Ah well...I think it's all for the best. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is going to stop us from our oil gluttony until it puts a major hurt on our wallets. I saw a report recently that showed SUV and 8-cylinder truck sales have not dropped at all.

How about when it's $4? $6? $8? I bet it's not too far off.

We made this bed...

I know my driving has gone from 12-18k miles per year, now I'm only driving 3-4k because of gas prices, and most of my friends are doing the same...

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
California is the worst. Worse than Hawaii. It's such a scam up here. Every time I have been to Hawaii, it has been cheaper to fill up than at home. That makes sense, right? Since Oakland has a ton of refineries and Hawaii is the most remote populated landmass in the world. ;

I know what you mean. Last time I was leaving Hawaii, and they are hawking the pineapples to take home, I wanted to take a Jerry Can of Gas............

It's got to be the "special California blend"

Tobin

Its not too pretty around here. I just heard something to the effect that the average commune to work in SoCal is 50 miles each way! That's a lot of gas each week.

If you drive an SUV, do not read any further.

I see people with SUVs paying $70 - $80 every couple of days. It serves them right for having bought gas hogs, especially since most of them did it as status symbols. Most of them have never driven their big 4-wheel drives with the grill protectors and lamp packages off paved roads. So why do they need big off-road vehicles. Mini-vans are just as good for hauling a bunch of kids or groceries, but they don't look so cool.

Maybe prices will get high enough that people will start carpooling or using public transportation. Maybe that will reduce our gridlock.

A large part of the gas mileage problem is that we spend so much time at stop lights or stopped in traffic. Going 4 miles takes 20 minutes, most of that is sitting still. That can't be good for gas mileage.

yes, Bruce, this may be what it takes. meanwhile, my vehicle gets 16, so I ain't driving much. (I put 11,000 /last year; in SoCal i did three times that easily)

Last time I was in LA, I saw spray on mud for those big shiny SUV's!

I'm actually glad to see the prices high. I hope they go up to ~$5/gallon.

I've never understood why people think there should be no traffic and cheap gas, the two can't co-exist easily. At $5/gallon it will make some people start driving a little less and make traffic flow more smoothly. The bus system here is pretty decent and the weather is good enough to ride a bike most days. And if a person still feels they "need" to always drive there's always mopeds and motorcycles that get 60+ mpg.

my kids take the city bus. It is a dollar for students.

Catherine, I feel for your 16 mpg. I should get good mileage, but I sit at certain intersections for 5 or 6 minutes just burning up gas. On the bright side, there is my boat. I filled my 2 gallon can in January and hopefully won't have to refill it until August.

WOW, I don't feel so bad now. I paid 3.26 for diesel to get to the lake and 4.55 for the boat on the lake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom