Check out this antique...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canuckdiver once bubbled...
those old aqualungs are still the reg of choice for a lot of commercial divers that I know, mainly because they are simple and sturdy.

Yeah didn't Kirby Morgan base their regs for the KMB and the Superlites off the Aqualung regs. I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same. That's good though, I will fit right in when I go to school for that.

It's a great working regulator.

My old scubapro Mark V is still in use.
(they can be refitted to replace the dual swivel with a 4 port swivel.)
I am now using mine on my argon bottle.

My USD conshelve XII is still in use, I use it in the pool with my students.

Great reliable regs both of them.
Both about 25 years old too.

Mike D

:blfish:

Heck, I didn't get anything that good until my 4th reg.

1st Voit Polaris 50 2 hose 1962
2nd USD Conshelf, 1970
3rd Swimaster MR-2, 1971
4th Scubapro Mk V, 1976

Dave D

Those 109s are still great regs!!

They breath better than a lot of new regs I see.

I was actually trying to find one a while back.

A friend of mine restores diving equipment as a hobby.
On one of our club dives under Selsey pier, I used his twin-hosed snark, and a Fenzy Aid. I will never ever complain about any piece of my equipment ever again!!!
It was the most uncomfortable dive I have ever done.
My lungs felt like they had gone 15 rounds in a balloon blowing contest and my bouyancy was so bad, that one of the students complained about me going up and down like a "whore's drawers"
Along with some exceptionally old black, heavy rubber fins and a round full face mask I was stepping back 40 years to diving like the greats.
NEVER AGAIN!

ZoCrowes255 once bubbled....

He has always had an ill-fitting mask thanks to his mustache and he is used to it now. Back in the early-mid 70s when the defog still sucked he would keep a little water in his mask to slosh around. It's an old, albeit bad, habit.

I resemble that remark!

Mask fits fine. It's just that brush under my nose. Tried shaving it off once (at about 16 years of being married, and always having it.) Walked out of the bathroom...one look she said grow it back! Now going on 23 years.

And the water works just fine to defog it, thank you very much!

For some of us, I guess, it NOT how you look that matters.

You see some of those old antiques on eBay once in a while. I've though about getting one just for a conversational piece.

I'm reading this thread, and realize that my newest regulator is now 20 years old, a Scubapro AIR I. It still breaths like a dream. I regularly use a USD Calypso regulator too.

Several years back, when US Divers come out with their plastic regulator second stages, I asked my LDS what the difference mechanically was between the newer and older second stage from USD. He said that the LP lever had a teflon bead on it so that it would slide across the LP diaphragm plate more easily. I asked how much the lever itself cost, and he said about $0.75, so I bought one and put it in my Calypso.

Belushi talked about the Nemrod Snark regulator. This two-hose had a problem--the hoses. I've used one, and switched the hoses with a USD hose/mouthpiece system, and it worked much better. Later, I corrected one other small engineering problem, and it's now a nice regulator.

My beginning regulators were:

1959: Healthways SCUBA regulator (two hose).
1961: Healthways Scuba Star single hose regulator.
1963: AMF Voit Viking regulator (shown in the photo).

After that, I joined the US Air Force, and used a large number of different regulators, both single hose and two hose.

The AMF Voit Viking 40 regulator was a great breather for inhalation, but had a very small exhalation valve on the diaphragm. It was not until later generations that the US Navy finally accepted them (single hose regs), because of this exhalation resistance problem. However, Hans Keller used this regulator (really the USD equivalent, then called the Calypso regulator) in his record-breaking 1000 foot dive. It had a balanced diaphragm first stage, and I think the first downstream second stage on the market.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom