Cheers to Silent World, Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amw5g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife, her brother, and I have just returned from a nice little trip down to Key Largo. The missus and I are beginner/intermediate divers at just over 3 years, and I think we crossed the 100-dive mark on this trip. Brother-in-law is newly minted, just coming off his certification in the local springs. Prior research lead us to book a 5-trip package with Silent World. It was a good choice.

Arrived Saturday and checked in at their marina location. We were told Sunday was not looking good, but to call in around 7:45 am to confirm. We did, and indeed we were blown out. Repeated the drill for Monday and were told the boat was going out, but it would be a little rough. Eager to get in the water, we hustled over and began the set-up process. Kelan was the captain with Chris as first mate. I think we had perhaps 7 other people on the boat, with a tech diver and his instructor, and then a few others who seemed to be experienced recreational divers. Boat briefing completed, we set off. It was indeed "sporty". We hit both City of Washington and Elbow/Fingers. Kelan and Chris worked very quickly to get my better-half in the water as fast as possible- she was not handling the rough seas very well. All she had to do was glance at Chris and he had her a cup of water in two shakes. They also took care of swapping her tanks so she could take it easy. The boat ran a line out was was benefit, but getting back on after the dives was quite tricky. Again, both Kelan and Chris worked together to assist from the moment we hit the ladder to touchdown on the seats. We decided not to go out for the afternoon dive.

Tuesday gifted us with much better weather. Full of Dramamine, bonine, and ginger, we showed up for the morning dive. The tech diver and his instructor were conducting a drift dive, so we dropped them off first. A Canadian couple and then a pair of gentlemen- one of whom said he had previously worked for Silent World- rounded out the boat for the reef dive. Great weather, and pleasant dives at Elbow Reef & Mike's Wreck. Our trio all agreed we'd complete the afternoon trip to Dry Rocks and North Dry Rocks, as well. Which we did, after rotating out the gentlemen pair and one-half of the Canadians. The tech diver's family also joined as snorkelers. One of the boys must have gotten a bit sick during the trip. To help take his mind off the discomfort, Kelan let the boys pilot us back to the marina- that seemed to do the trick. The young fellow was so engrossed that he seemed to perk right back up and never lost a smile.

I think Chris may have just recently joined the team. On a few occasions, he received instruction from Kelan on how to do one thing or another. Kelan was always concise, yet polite and constructive in his guidance. While it was great to see the crew be so positive and friendly with us paying customers, I was particularly impressed with how they treated each other.

Sadly, that was all the diving we were to do. The other days saw anywhere from 10-20knot winds, with seas 2'-4'+. Jonathan and Kelan at the shop stayed optimistic every time we called for conditions, but it was not to be. They always deferred to our comfort, offering to run the boat out for just us three either morning or afternoon. So now we have a couple of vouchers each for the next time we're down. Even without any remaining dives, we would definitely return to Silent World. And I hope they have a t-shirt in my size, because I feel bad I couldn't find one on this trip. My thanks to the entire team for their patience, their good cheer, their flexibility, and their attention to our personal comfort.

-Amw 5G

Cheers to you, We've gone out with them over the years. They cater to people who know what they're doing. Double dips on the wrecks is where its at in my book but rookies should stay away

It's always nice to read when a dive op has done a good job and earned your repeat business.

Glad you had a good trip. If you get blown out next time there is always the option of a dive or two at Jules. Not a reef but beats a cold quarry. I will be down in a few days and if I get blown out I will go there and mess around. Never know what you will find. Have heard there are sometimes sea horses and I would like to shoot a few. (photos)

Glad you had a good trip. If you get blown out next time there is always the option of a dive or two at Jules. Not a reef but beats a cold quarry. I will be down in a few days and if I get blown out I will go there and mess around. Never know what you will find. Have heard there are sometimes sea horses and I would like to shoot a few. (photos)

I just saw the JUL a few threads down- had no idea it was even there. Had we only known...

Glad to see the new owners have upgraded the operation. The cosmetic changes, new website and improved customer service are all very welcome and in the case of Silent World, much needed.

Key Largo is one of the most competative diving areas with lots of choices for potential customers. If a dive operation is to survive, they need to be at the top of their game every day. You can't afford to slack off one bit.

Good to hear you enjoyed yourselves.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom