Chemlub 800???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zodiacdiverdave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Does anyone else use Chemlub 800 in their compressors? If so how is your compressor working now? Bauer does recommend it but I see Wookie was told not to by a sales rep for the oil. (Correct me if I am wrong Wookie)
ZDD

You are correct. The sales rep from Ultrachem told me that it should not be used in high pressure reciprocating compressors, and when I questioned him more closely, he got the engineer on the phone with me to back him up. Both of my Mako's have run great with the 501B that I used since I rebuilt them.

The issue with both of my compressors was cylinder liner glazing.

You are correct. The sales rep from Ultrachem told me that it should not be used in high pressure reciprocating compressors, and when I questioned him more closely, he got the engineer on the phone with me to back him up. Both of my Mako's have run great with the 501B that I used since I rebuilt them.

Interesting, is that Chem-lube 501B Wookie.?

I dont see Bauer Germany recommending any Chemlube lubricants on their lubricant chart?

Locally most people use Anderol 755 (Synthetic) or Shell Corena P 150 as a mineral, depending on what you are using. I have often toyed with the idea of using Chem-lube as I see it in the cross referencing, but stuck to the Bauer recommendations on their lube sheet initially due to a warranty concern, although its now a long time out of warranty......old habits die hard and I just carried on with Anderol.

The bauer chart may not have recommend the chemlube 800 by name, however the last gallon of Bauer synthetic oil that they sold me had in very small letters on the bottom portion of the backside label "Product: Chemlube 800". I now buy the 800 elsewhere in a 5 gal bucket for less $ and have run it no problems for several thousands of hours.

How many hours did it take for the glazing issue to show up?

Yes, chemlube 501B. When my compressors were new, the specified oil was Chemlube 756. When we started CBing nitrox with them, we started blowing them up. I called UltraChem and asked what oil had a higher flashpoint, and Chemlube 800 was the answer. I switched over in 2003 on pumps that had about 5,000 hours on them. The Glazing started on the air pump first about 3000 hours later, and on the nitrox pump at about 5,000 hours later. One thing we never found in any of our pumps while running the 800 was any sign of carbon on the valves. We change valves every year and never needed to because of carbon. The Chemlube 501B is the same product Mako sells as Mako Blue oil for almost twice as much.

The glazing caused my oil usage to go up to almost to a pint per 16 hour day.

That's odd as I spoke with the current President of Ultrachem, Bob Whiting, and he said the the Chemlube 800 was "specifically developed for Bauer" as their OEM high pressure compressor oil. After that I spoke with the chief engineer for Bauer Norfolk and at the time they had just switched to loading all their hp compressors with the Chemlube 800 on purchase. This is still the case with Bauer USA. In fact I just dropped off a gallon of Bauer Oil-24 labelled hp compressor oil and the label says it is Chemlube 800.

Have a look at this product data sheet from Ultrachem which specifically mentions the CL 800 and its OEM approval by Bauer USA.
http://ultracheminc.adisites.com/productimages/thumb/CMS/Files/2010_HP_BROCHURE.pdf

It is my understanding that Mako compressors require an ISO 100 viscosity oil and the CL 800 is an ISO 150 oil. The CL 501 is an ISO 100 oil. Your glazing problem may have had more to do with the viscosity choice than anything else.
Compressor and Vacuum Pump Lubricants | Ultrachem Inc.

Interesting, is that Chem-lube 501B Wookie.?

I dont see Bauer Germany recommending any Chemlube lubricants on their lubricant chart?

Locally most people use Anderol 755 (Synthetic) or Shell Corena P 150 as a mineral, depending on what you are using. I have often toyed with the idea of using Chem-lube as I see it in the cross referencing, but stuck to the Bauer recommendations on their lube sheet initially due to a warranty concern, although its now a long time out of warranty......old habits die hard and I just carried on with Anderol.

Bauer USA and Germany recommend different oils likely because it is easier to recommend locally available oils than shipping oils manufactured in the USA (Ultrachem) across the Atlantic.

Bauer USA since about 2007 has been using the Ultrachem Chemlube 800 in all its compressors unless a mineral oil is specifically requested in which case they load the Shell Corena P150 oil refined in the USA.

Bauer Germany now loads all its compressors with a synthetic made by Shell out of France, however in the past they recommended the synthetic Anderol 755 and the German LiquiMoly 750. Their recommended mineral oil continues to be the Shell Corena P150 however this oil is refined locally in Germany. I suspect your Shell Corena P150 is imported from Europe.

Bauer USA and Germany recommend different oils likely because it is easier to recommend locally available oils than shipping oils manufactured in the USA (Ultrachem) across the Atlantic.

Bauer USA since about 2007 has been using the Ultrachem Chemlube 800 in all its compressors unless a mineral oil is specifically requested in which case they load the Shell Corena P150 oil refined in the USA.

Bauer Germany now loads all its compressors with a synthetic made by Shell out of France, however in the past they recommended the synthetic Anderol 755 and the German LiquiMoly 750. Their recommended mineral oil continues to be the Shell Corena P150 however this oil is refined locally in Germany. I suspect your Shell Corena P150 is imported from Europe.

Yeah, I sort of thought they may standardize across the board, but what you say makes logical sense.

Could be our Shell Corena P150 is imported, I will have a look next drum I get.

Speaking of which Shell has upgraded it now to Corena 2P 150 - the rep I spoke to last said it pretty much gives the same performance and longevity of a synthetic.

Chemlube, I think has a very small presence here, certainly I dont see it much, I am sure its available, but one would need to look for it, whereas Shell is massive and its available on almost every corner, and Anderol is also pretty well represented and easily obtainable, so, yeah, agree, its quite understandable sticking to whats locally available.

Last edited:
That's odd as I spoke with the current President of Ultrachem, Bob Whiting, and he said the the Chemlube 800 was "specifically developed for Bauer" as their OEM high pressure compressor oil. After that I spoke with the chief engineer for Bauer Norfolk and at the time they had just switched to loading all their hp compressors with the Chemlube 800 on purchase. This is still the case with Bauer USA. In fact I just dropped off a gallon of Bauer Oil-24 labelled hp compressor oil and the label says it is Chemlube 800.

Have a look at this product data sheet from Ultrachem which specifically mentions the CL 800 and its OEM approval by Bauer USA.
http://ultracheminc.adisites.com/productimages/thumb/CMS/Files/2010_HP_BROCHURE.pdf

It is my understanding that Mako compressors require an ISO 100 viscosity oil and the CL 800 is an ISO 150 oil. The CL 501 is an ISO 100 oil. Your glazing problem may have had more to do with the viscosity choice than anything else.
Compressor and Vacuum Pump Lubricants | Ultrachem Inc.

Your answer is in line with what I was first told by UltraChem when I first switched to the 800. When I started having problems with the pumps, oil problems never crossed my mind. I happened to get a cold call from the salesman while I was replacing the jugs which had gone out for honing, I mean literally got the call while I was replacing the jugs, and he asked me if I was going to buy any more 800. I replied that I had 5 gallons still, and that I had switched my account from a Texas address to a Florida one, which is why he didn't see a purchase history. He asked me what I used it in, and after I explained, he told me that I shouldn't be using the 800. Obviously, the president and his sales staff are not on the same page, here.

Your answer is in line with what I was first told by UltraChem when I first switched to the 800. When I started having problems with the pumps, oil problems never crossed my mind. I happened to get a cold call from the salesman while I was replacing the jugs which had gone out for honing, I mean literally got the call while I was replacing the jugs, and he asked me if I was going to buy any more 800. I replied that I had 5 gallons still, and that I had switched my account from a Texas address to a Florida one, which is why he didn't see a purchase history. He asked me what I used it in, and after I explained, he told me that I shouldn't be using the 800. Obviously, the president and his sales staff are not on the same page, here.

Funny I just looked back through some emails and found this one from 2004 when Bob Whiting was operations director or the like at Ultrachem. I have never owned a Mako compressor but I was aware that they do not do well with the higher viscosity oils like the CL 751 and 800. I think it was Dick Boyd at Global who used to warn people about that when they carried the Ultrachem oils.

Bauer does recommend the 800, but many customers continue to use the 751. It is also used in Coltri, Poseidon, and Alkin compressors. The 501 is suitable for Mako units.

Regards, Bob Whiting, Ultrachem Inc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom