Chest Discomfort After Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a brand new diver, just recently completed my OW certs. I noticed after these training dives a kind of achy, nagging tightness in my chest. All dives were with an instructor, and on none of them did anything happen that would have raised red flags: no rapid ascents, no flirting with limits, no breath-holding. I've gone to get this checked out by a DAN-recommended physician, and my chest X-ray and ECG are normal; short of going on a ride in the chamber, I've had the full workup. We can't say for sure it wasn't mild DCS, but the pattern of symptoms isn't classic.This discomfort is the only symptom I'm displaying.

I had it checked out because diving injuries can be really serious, but because all of the dives were conservative and I otherwise appear to be in perfect health, I suspect (hope!) that I've just strained something. The discomfort is at the center of my chest under my sternum. It bothers me more when I laugh hard, but not so much when I breath deeply. I notice it when breathing in against any resistance (like checking a regulator at the surface). I'm new to the sport, and I suspect I was being a bit overenthusiastic about breath-controlled buoyancy (a bit determined to empty my lungs to sink lower). I know that tight wetsuits and BCD chest straps can occasionally be the culprit, although I don't suspect it here, as everything was comfortable enough. If it were any other activity apart from diving I would have already shrugged it off as overexertion, but the fear of a more serious complication has made it more of a concern for me.

My question is, has anyone else ever experienced something like this? Is this something that new divers occasionally run into? If you experienced something similar, what helped you to overcome it?

Thank you!

Rule Out: Pain/discomfort center of chest, sternum area due to Costochondritis. . .
(DCS Ruled Out?)

Hi New,

At what point after the dive do you notice this discomfort? Are you engaged in any particular activity at the time? How long does it take to resolve?

I'm sure the physician asked this too, but is this discomfort accompanied by any other symptoms?

Best regards,
DDM

The lungs themselves have almost no pain receptors. They react to irritation with cough.
What happens when you press on your sternum.? You should be able to press hard with no discomfort at all, up to like someone (small) sitting on your chest.

You said you had the full workup. I assume that workup included a cardiac stress test and/or cardiac CT scan. If not, I recommend you schedule them after discussing with your physician. You can have a clean EKG, X-ray, and blood work but still have severe blockages in coronary arteries.

At 29 and with the symptoms you have given very unlikely cardiac unless you have major risk factors and/or strong family history. Lack of reported pain with other physical activities also help rule this out.

I will let DDM address DCS risk. I,will say based on the limited infor that is is likely a musculoskeletal issue, costochontritis or even a simply strain. Pain with movement and tenderness to touch with a negative work up would pretty much confirm this. And yes, I have had this after fairly physical dives.

Another possibility, GERD. What was your physicians conclusion and recommendations?

Thanks everyone!
Hi New,
At what point after the dive do you notice this discomfort? Are you engaged in any particular activity at the time? How long does it take to resolve?
I'm sure the physician asked this too, but is this discomfort accompanied by any other symptoms?
Best regards,
DDM

I notice the discomfort mostly when moving around. It's nonexistent the moment I wake up in the morning, but returns once I get up and move around. It's generally better when I'm laying down or sitting, worse when standing. I first noticed it only after diving, but it's mild enough that if it did appear during diving, I don't think I would have noticed it against all of the other new sensations and things to pay attention to. It appears to be very slowly improving. There are not other symptoms.

The lungs themselves have almost no pain receptors. They react to irritation with cough.
What happens when you press on your sternum.? You should be able to press hard with no discomfort at all, up to like someone (small) sitting on your chest.

I have no pain if I press directly on my sternum, even with substantial pressure. I can increase my discomfort level by crunching my shoulders together tightly, or stretching them back and arching my back, but it's only a mild increase.

was your wetsuit or BC too tight?
I don't think my wetsuit or BCD was too tight, but again, it's new equipment to me. It's tightness level didn't bother me at the time.

You said you had the full workup. I assume that workup included a cardiac stress test and/or cardiac CT scan. If not, I recommend you schedule them after discussing with your physician. You can have a clean EKG, X-ray, and blood work but still have severe blockages in coronary arteries.
It did not include the stress test. I should also mention I'm 29, a runner in really good physical shape (although not particularly strong in my upper body), on very veggie-rich diet with exceptionally low blood pressure. The doc said I could do a cardiac CT scan if I wanted, but I opted against it. The fact that the discomfort set in immediately after diving (which is less strenuous than my usual workouts) makes me suspect that it's something to do with diving itself, and not a background heart problem.

At 29 and with the symptoms you have given very unlikely cardiac unless you have major risk factors and/or strong family history.

I will let DDM address DCS risk. I,will say based on the limited infor that is is likely a musculoskeletal issue, costochontritis or even a simply strain. Pain with movement and tenderness to touch with a negative work up would pretty much confirm this. And yes, I have had this after fairly physical dives.

Another possibility, GERD. What was your physicians conclusion and recommendations?
What is GERD? The doc said I could either go home and watch it, going to the ER if it got worse or anything else developed, or take a ride in the chamber to see if symptoms disappeared with pressure (and it sounded like even that might not be conclusive. I'm enough days out from the dive that one ride might not help the DCS immediately. Likewise, hyperbaric treatment helps all injuries, and so it might help it even if it isn't DCS). I've opted for the go home and watch it option for now.

Thank you all!

I notice the discomfort mostly when moving around. It's nonexistent the moment I wake up in the morning, but returns once I get up and move around. It's generally better when I'm laying down or sitting, worse when standing. I first noticed it only after diving, but it's mild enough that if it did appear during diving, I don't think I would have noticed it against all of the other new sensations and things to pay attention to. It appears to be very slowly improving. There are not other symptoms.

I have no pain if I press directly on my sternum, even with substantial pressure. I can increase my discomfort level by crunching my shoulders together tightly, or stretching them back and arching my back, but it's only a mild increase.

I don't think my wetsuit or BCD was too tight, but again, it's new equipment to me. It's tightness level didn't bother me at the time.

Disclaimer - not a medical person.

But I distinctly remember some of these symptoms - purely because I was breathing against a wet suit and concentrating on full breaths. Basically, sore muscles that had to train up . . .

Back
Top Bottom