Chicago fire dump site dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just like good ol' Huck Finn.

swampmonster once bubbled...
Hey Mike, does that book of yours show the site location or cordinates?

No but since the gps cordinates of most of the wrecks are published (I have those) you should be able to get one of the Captains to give it to you.

Try Dale Bennette at captain Dale

I think he's where I got the book with the gps numbers for the wrecks.

Interesting.....i'm still a bit sceptical.

Damn, that would be cool to see if it exists. Keep us updated if you find anything else.

Hello all,

I was looking through one of my Great Lake Dive Books, "The Great Lakes Diving Guide" by Cris Kohl and found the "Caissons" in the book. It gives a brief description and coordinates. I've never dove the site, but here are the coordinates listed (his book has been dead on in the past).

Loran: 33365.71/50092.0

LAT 41° 53.69'
Lon 087° 32.01'

The site sits at 45 to 50 feet and is listed as an intermidiate dive.

On a side note I would recommend this book for any great lake divers. It has a lot of wrecks up and down the coast with coordinates and descriptions.

jreihl once bubbled...
Interesting.....i'm still a bit sceptical.

Damn, that would be cool to see if it exists. Keep us updated if you find anything else.

I'm not sure why you're sceptical. Dumping junk in the water isn't anything new and after the Chicago fire there was lots of junk. I've listed chartewrs that advertise it as one of their regular dive sites. Just call one and go dive it.

It's not much of a dive unless you like digging through garbage. It's going to be a flat clay bottom with nothing to look at. It's a long established well documented site and several local charters will take you there if you really want to pay the $80 to go dig through junk. LOL

There are other sites in the great lakes where settlements, shipping and fishing communities go back hundreds of years and lots of bottles are found because they've thrown their garbage into the water for so long. There's even a site listed in one of my books where they find coins.

I was on a wreck last week that's full of wine bottles (full), wooden pitchers and funnels and lots of other stuff. The difference is in the wreck it's illegal to disturb anything because it's a historical site. The caissons is just an underwater junk yard and you can take whatever you find.

Well I was in the guys family room and saw 2 daggers and a matching civil war sword. His name was JD and said he had to do alot of digging to find them. He also had a collection of various medicine bottles over 200 different types. He dove their from the Endeaver and Great Lakes Explorer. Great Lakes Explorer is found at divechicago.com

Back
Top Bottom