Chincoteague Island, VA diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After a three year lull we're going back to Chincoteague for vacation. Heading there the end of July. The difference this time is that I won't be trailering a boat but I'm now a certified diver. Does anyone know of any dive boats that moor on the island or close by?
Thanks for any info,
Steve:coffee:

I believe the nearest boat is in Ocean City Maryland. There is a charter in the Norfolk Va area but not sure where. Scroll through the Mid Atlantic threads and you should be able to find info on these.

There is a lot of nice stuff up there. A number of boats have tried but all left. The last dive boat was there about 10 years ago and left after one season. No business. You might try the public marina at the end of the island. You may find a local running bottom fishing trips who might take you along. Try the 75 feet stones, Bone, Steel Sailing Ship, Trecarrell,Hermod, or the Marine Electric if you can find someone that will go that far. The closest charters are in Ocean City Md. about an hour north. I don't know much about that part of the world.

There are some wrecks and some concrete piles...I dont have the map anymore, but I am sure you could find them somewhere. Does anyone know how the vis is within 4-5 miles of shore?

I wish I knew what was under the water. I've been going ther for about 12 years but only as a boater/fisherman. Now more boat but I wish I had it now. It was the perfect dive boat, a 21 ft. deck boat and wide open.

Thanks "nageek" for all your info. That should get me somewhere.

When I go down there at the end of July I'll make sure I get a "wreck" map. I have one of the bays but it doesn't show anything else.
Steve

My dad lives a little south of Chincoteague, down near Quimby. I've got him on the lookout for a boat that would run divers off shore. He told me he saw an add in some publicaton this year for a boat that would charter to divers, but can't find it again. If anything turns up, I'll post back here.

Thanks jamiep3
I really appreciate that!
Take care, Steve

I sent an email to the Chinco. Charter Association president today asking about dive charters or seeing if any fish charters would be willing to take us provided we bring necessary safety equip and waive certain liabilities to the boat and captain...we shall see...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom