Chinese girl dead - Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The whole "So we forgot about a diver and she drowned. No big deal, happens all the time" seems very odd.
Life is cheap.
Nothing official on Similan Seven Sea Club fb. The only one posted by someone else about the incident had been deleted!!

Seriously I wouldn't consider the fact that people from the boat or dive buddies haven't posted to have any significance. Not everyone posts on SB or sees the need to reveal information publicly. I am sure a lot of people with be reeling right now so even SB members are likely to be too distracted with other things to be posting about it.

Why Similan Seven Sea Club removed that bit of info(presumably posted by an outsider but you have to registered with them first) from it's own fb? So nobody reads about it(incident)?

I don't see ANY thing it that preliminary and sparse story worth reading twice, less commenting on. OK, someone apparently went solo diving from a boat and drowning. End of discussion, that happens normally.

In the 1980's when buddy diving was THE RULE, the URI and the USCG (IIRC) released an analysis on diving deaths, and basically said "When divers dive in pairs, one gets in trouble, then pulls in the other, and as a result buddy diving kills BOTH divers instead of just one. Maybe solo diving should be reconsidered."

Now PADI and SDI/TTI (?) both have solo diving certifications, which basically mean someone saw you could swim once, and you agreed to sign liability waivers against all parties, go have a nice day, goodbye. And for many years at least one major dive boat association has formally said "Look, we're taxi drivers. We run you out and back, and what you do while you're in the water is your problem, we can't follow you in there anyway."

So?

In the last 20 years diving accidents, STUPID accidents in relatively shallow water from divers who either got lost or simply failed to use of check their rigs, has skyrocketed. As have lawsuits trying to find someone else to blame.

I don't know. I was taught that YOU are always YOUR OWN divemaster. YOU are always responsible. YOU need to know the three ways to get out of any problem (and with gear that civilian dive organizations have stopped using, which was considered mandatory at the time because it provided triple redundancy) and the reason "modern" divers seem to keep dying in such really stupid ways, seems to be that the gear has been dumbed down. The training has been dumbed down. And for 30-40 years now, no one has required or practiced "panic training" aka "harassment day" in the water, in controlled circumstances. Student is panic prone? OK, some 20% of the public is. Those students NEED to be flunked out, for their own safety.

But of course, that's bad for business. Headlines over "tragic" deaths in the dangerous sport of SCUBA, are much better for business.
Hmmm...

"There but for the grace of the gods go I." I try really hard to let the sea gods find someone else who shows the less respect, and less caution.

I don't see ANY thing it that preliminary and sparse story worth reading twice, less commenting on. OK, someone apparently went solo diving from a boat and drowning. End of discussion, that happens normally.
I call that BS.
1. How do you know that it was solo diving that went wrong?
2. Drowning does not happen normally! There is/are reasons behind that.

Rred, The articles are difficult to follow, regardless, I interpreted them to say that there were other divers in the water diving with her at one point, (after having lunch on the third dive of the day) they appear not to have initially noticed that she was no longer with them (perhaps even from point of entry). Upon surfacing, it was apparent she was not with them. I didn't take any of it to say she went solo diving.

---------- Post added December 1st, 2015 at 09:53 PM ----------

"Photos presented to The Phuket News show a cut over Ms Zhang's left eye and minor abrasions on her forehead."

She may have vomited but something hit her in the head too.

In the last 20 years diving accidents, STUPID accidents in relatively shallow water from divers who either got lost or simply failed to use of check their rigs, has skyrocketed. As have lawsuits trying to find someone else to blame.

Do you have anything to back that up? I think you are just pulling that from thin air.

Hey guys remember this is A&I special rules and all that. We are meant to be discussing the Accident and information about it that may have contributed to the death so we can learn and prevent further incidents. Some reasonable speculation is acceptable if it is triggered by the event. No assigning blame.

Sooooo what we have been told although we can't be sure it is accurate is that she was on her third dive. She had participated in multiple dives over multiple days. We have no idea if she was solo diving or buddy diving but appears she was alone at death. She was diving after having eaten lunch and there was some indication she may have been vomiting.

We also have no idea how experienced she was as a diver. I know a number of people, myself included have to be careful about diving after eating. I also know how unpleasant it is to vomit through your reg. I kept my reg in until after and then went to my occy to purge/clean my primary. Pretty hard to stay calm while you are being sick. Has anyone else had experience with this? How did you cope? Any suggestions on "technique".

She was diving after having eaten lunch and there was some indication she may have been vomiting.

We also have no idea how experienced she was as a diver. I know a number of people, myself included have to be careful about diving after eating. I also know how unpleasant it is to vomit through your reg. I kept my reg in until after and then went to my occy to purge/clean my primary. Pretty hard to stay calm while you are being sick. Has anyone else had experience with this? How did you cope? Any suggestions on "technique".

No first hand experience myself but my wife has gotten sick in her reg. She was seasick on the boat and the best way to manage that was getting in the water. One puke and she was good to go. The keys are:

1. Don't panic.
2. Keep the regulator in the mouth.
3. After losing the lunch, purge the reg (as mentioned.)

Based on my wife's experience, it's easily done and does not adversely affect your equipment. She was helped through this by the boat crew providing her the specific briefing for the experience. So she was ready.

Yes BOP...twice now. I suffer migraines badly and have all my life. Twice I have had migraines come on at depth during a dive completely unexpectedly and yes...I do exactly what you do..spew through my reg, purge, swap to occy, spew again, purge, swap until I can safely get to the surface. 6 months ago I was feeding fish on a dive at Cape Kri in Raja Ampat, the first time probably 6 years ago in Thailand. Most of the time I have that feeling coming on that I am going to get a migraine and sit out that dive and retreat to my cabin - those two occasions, no warning, just bam at depth. My technique? sames as yours and don't panic..i know I can survive it. I don't think anyone noticed at Kri until I was back on the tender hanging over the side heaving. I tend to make sure i'm in visible contact with everyone and hang onto a rock (I wear one glove) and spew downwards if that makes sense..helps reg stay in my mouth although im not keen to develop this skill further if I can avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom