Chloroquine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riftvalley84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any comments about the side effects of chloroquine? We just picked up our prescription and are a little nervous that we may react adversely and ruin our trip to Roatan in 2 weeks. We (including our 3 kids: 12, 14 & 16) will be taking 500 mg chloroquine. If we are going to react, would we feel the effects immediately after the first dose? If so, will the symptoms pass so we should continue on with the preventative treatment? Any comments would be appreciated!

Are you triple sure you need it where you're going?

That is some of the foulest, nastiest stuff on the planet. I'm not saying it's worse than malaria but I had to quit taking it while I was living in the jungle in Belize. I was willing to risk it.

Everyone I knew that was taking any malaria meds had freaky lucid dreams, a nasty sour stomach, a bad taste in their mouths for a couple days and generally felt crappy.

After every dose I took I felt awful for 2 full days. I only managed three doses out of what should have been an 8 dose course. I didn't get malaria, luckily, but IMO it's bad nasty stuff.

YMMV

Rachel

P.S. Not a doctor, don't play one on tv, didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. In other words my opinion is pretty useless.

Thanks, there is some good info there. Also, I see NorthernMelody posted a similar question on Dec 18th so I was able to get a lot of facts & opinions there. However, I am still wondering if being symptom-free after taking 2 doses before our trip, means we will remain symptom-free. We are planning to take our first dose tomorrow.

Try it. If you don't have any side effects then it's clearly better than the risk of malaria. That just didn't happen at all with me and I was in the next country over so we're taking the same meds.

R

biscuit7:
Are you triple sure you need it where you're going?

That is some of the foulest, nastiest stuff on the planet. I'm not saying it's worse than malaria but I had to quit taking it while I was living in the jungle in Belize. I was willing to risk it.

Everyone I knew that was taking any malaria meds had freaky lucid dreams, a nasty sour stomach, a bad taste in their mouths for a couple days and generally felt crappy.

After every dose I took I felt awful for 2 full days. I only managed three doses out of what should have been an 8 dose course. I didn't get malaria, luckily, but IMO it's bad nasty stuff.

YMMV

Rachel

P.S. Not a doctor, don't play one on tv, didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. In other words my opinion is pretty useless.
I have read in a few spots that Roatan is an area at risk so it seems prudent to take a preventative. I grew up in Kenya & had malaria a few times growing up although only remember it as a bad case of the flu but I know it can be a lot worse.

I would say that if you had two doses without issue you will do okay. I think it is prudent (and so does the CDC) to take your chloroquine in Roatan. I took it when I was there in November the last two years with no ill effects.

Have a great time and don't worry about the medicine.

The reason I ask is because I know malaria meds were recommended since I was going to be inland but if I was out in the cays it wouldn't be prescribed since the incidence out there in nil.

Since Roatan is off-shore, I was curious.

R

Chloroquine is recommended for US citizens going to Roatan. The CDC has a website for regions around the world with recommendations for medicines, since meds vary with susceptability patterns.

www.cdc.gov Traveler's Health

The wife and I have both been on Chloriquine and have both had suspected reactions. In her case, we were in Mexico, and we thought it may have been the old Montie's Revenge, but the symptoms didn't quite fit. Cramping, loss of appetite, general bla...it came after her third dose. She stopped taking the meds. It never returned. In my case, it was somewhat milder, but we think it did lead to some paranoia. Weird stuff...

Since my wife's incident, when we have gone to a malaria zone, she has been put on Malorin. No ill effects so far. I'll probably request that myself next time.

Back
Top Bottom