choosing a lobster snare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using an Equalizer up until 2/3 weeks ago.

A guy who dove with me one day gave me a lasso/snare. It's basically a tickle stick with braided wire on the end which loops onto itself and acts as a lasso. I haven't lost a bug yet, whether big or small.

Can't say that for the Equalizer unfortunately.

Geez... you guys in Florida use snares? C'mon, your lobsters don't even have claws.

Come to NJ, where the lobsters fight back... and we use our hands.

STEELwreck_big_lobsters3.jpg

I dived up in Cape Ann with a friend from South Florida. The lobster just sit there, waiting to be taken. No problem grabbing them by hand, even for a neophyte. I did not view this as much of a challenge. They sure were good eating.

Been a long time since I dove Cape Ann, but I don't remember the bugs being quite that cooperative.

Been a long time since I dove Cape Ann, but I don't remember the bugs being quite that cooperative.

My first and only time diving Cape Ann, it was quite cold in a full 7mm. I was able to catch and contribute a small number of lobster to our days catch.

Geez... you guys in Florida use snares? C'mon, your lobsters don't even have claws.

Come to NJ, where the lobsters fight back... and we use our hands.

STEELwreck_big_lobsters3.jpg
Dear Mr Yankee......
If you meant this "tongue in cheek",
oh,
OK.
Yuk-Yuk.

And if by chance, you do not know any better......
I have doved with a great many Yankees down here that reliably inform me that our Florida Bugs move like lightning compared to your mutant glacial speed lazy tailed Crawdads.
The snare is an infinitely more humane and responsible method of capturing our bugs.
Because,
Our bugs DO NOT get busted to hell when a snare is used correctly.
And their legs and antennae are not pulverized by ham handed wanna-be "lobster mobsters" smashing them against the rocks, live coral, soft corals, and the reef in general.
And if they do have eggs, (and I am very careful not to grab preggo's) they are released with all their body parts intact generally.

Chug
Has used just about everything, currently prefers this one.
http://www.waternsports.com/store1/images/thumbs/StdLobsterSnare.jpeg
StdLobsterSnare.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom