christmas gifts for children that really deserve it in Cozumel 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps if the OP used the words "in need" vs "deserved" you'd have taken a slightly different tone, Mossman?

---------- Post added November 17th, 2014 at 06:54 AM ----------

By the way, did you read the info within the link you posted? :wink:
Now I did. The food pack stuff sounded good and I was in a hurry so I didn't scroll down to see they've polluted the charity with religion and toys.

So what's next? Do all deserving kids deserve TVs? iPhones? New cars?

I long for the good old days when kids would use a goat bladder for a soccer ball and make dolls out of Corona bottles and straw.

I long for the good old days when kids would use a goat bladder for a soccer ball and make dolls out of Corona bottles and straw.

The only conceivable justification for your saying that is if YOU had to make balls out of goat bladders and dolls out of bottles and straw. Otherwise you're expressing nostalgia for someone else's misery, which just makes you an anus.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Let's try and remember the spirit of the OP and not hijack this thread (or my next bit of moderation won't just be a mod message). I, for one, think the OP is to be commended for the work they do. Charity, of any kind, is appreciated by those in need of it. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

One of the great things about this program is that it's voluntary. They aren't forcing anyone to donate, or even forcing anyone to read this thread. I participated because I wanted to. I donate to similar programs at home too. Let's say that I get suckered 1 time out of 100 (heck, we can even say 10 times out of 100) and that the child isn't deserving of new toys because he/she already owns a goat bladder. Well, I'm still beyond happy that I might have put a smile on 90 or 99 children's faces, and it's a "risk" that I'm willing to take.

In the grand scheme of things, I am very, very fortunate. Certainly the fact that I can afford dive trips to Cozumel demonstrates this. It makes me feel good that I am able to share this fortune just a teeny bit - whether it be supporting food, housing, education, or toy programs - and am thankful for groups like Karen's that provide me with an easy opportunity to do so.
:xmas_2:

For those of you who might participate: Last year, I was able to find some Barbie-style dolls that are from the Disney Fairies line that aren't the traditional blond hair, blue eye dolls. They had dark eyes and dark hair, and I thought might be nice for a young girl in Cozumel. I also found that stuffed animals don't weigh much and don't take up much room in a suitcase. Play-dough, on the other hand, had to go back on the shelf at Target. I sure thought it would be fun but it's heavy when you're trying to stick to the suitcase weight limits! I liked the idea of bringing down soccer balls, but didn't have room. Of course if you are buying toys at Mega, size and weight wouldn't be an issue. I assumed the prices would be better at home though, so bought before my trip.

(That said, I'm sure Karen would have better ideas if you want them!)

Last edited:
One of the great things about this program is that it's voluntary. They aren't forcing anyone to donate, or even forcing anyone to read this thread. I participated because I wanted to. I donate to similar programs at home too. Let's say that I get suckered 1 time out of 100 (heck, we can even say 10 times out of 100) and that the child isn't deserving of new toys because he/she already owns a goat bladder. Well, I'm still beyond happy that I might have put a smile on 90 or 99 children's faces, and it's a "risk" that I'm willing to take.

In the grand scheme of things, I am very, very fortunate. Certainly the fact that I can afford dive trips to Cozumel demonstrates this. It makes me feel good that I am able to share this fortune just a teeny bit - whether it be supporting food, housing, education, or toy programs - and am thankful for groups like Karen's that provide me with an easy opportunity to do so.
:xmas_2:

For those of you who might participate: Last year, I was able to find some Barbie-style dolls that are from the Disney Fairies line that aren't the traditional blond hair, blue eye dolls. They had dark eyes and dark hair, and I thought might be nice for a young girl in Cozumel. I also found that stuffed animals don't weigh much and don't take up much room in a suitcase. Play-dough, on the other hand, had to go back on the shelf at Target. I sure thought it would be fun but it's heavy when you're trying to stick to the suitcase weight limits! I liked the idea of bringing down soccer balls, but didn't have room. Of course if you are buying toys at Mega, size and weight wouldn't be an issue. I assumed the prices would be better at home though, so bought before my trip.

(That said, I'm sure Karen would have better ideas if you want them!)

Just simple things are the best gifts.
The gifts that are most popular are balls and dolls/teddy bears.
They normally go the fastest.

Better not to give anything that needs batteries, as batteries are expensive

The prices for toys/gifts are better in the USA or Canada than here on the island, but you will have the weight limitations

Friends of mine used to deflate the soccer balls for transporting, get the reinstated at destination prior to giving them out. Always a huge hit!! How she deflated them i don't know. In any event, that takes care of the space problem but doesn't do anything for the weight problem.

You deflate soccer balls by using an inflator needle without a pump attached, or if you have a pump with a deflate function you use that. They certainly take up a lot less room that way.

You deflate soccer balls by using an inflator needle without a pump attached, or if you have a pump with a deflate function you use that. They certainly take up a lot less room that way.
And definitely a lot less room than goats. Last time I tried to deflate one with an inflator needle, damn creature bit me. So I had to stuff the whole thing in my carry-on and it carried on the entire trip down even after I gave it all my gin & tonics. Next time I'll bring down one of the new-fangled soccer balls, but I had figured the little urchins would appreciate my touch of authenticity.

Last year, I donated a Nerf water gun and a set of kid's snorkel gear. I purchased several of them during Target's clearance sale because they are dirt cheap, and always bring as many as I can during my trip.

I feel really lucky and privileged to have ability to afford and enjoy diving. I also believe Cozumel kids should also be able to enjoy and appreciate their island's beautiful sea. I hope the snorkel gear will open a kid to a new world, paving his/her way to another great divemaster.

I was at Micheal's craft store yesterday and picked up boxed sets of artist's watercolour paints, pastel chalks, and oil crayons. They are flat, light, and relatively inexpensive (under $10 each) and will pack nicely. And the packaging was in English, Spanish and French!

Back
Top Bottom