Christmas Tree Cove: The Doldrums 7.7.11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The plan today was to do an easy Garden or 120 reef dive at Marineland but upon inspection the cove was milky and the Garden green. Despite these conditions there were two shore divers making their way to the point and a small six-pac dive boat anchored just outside the cove. My buddy "SpkelpDiver" suggested we check out Christmas Tree cove. So an easy dive at Marineland quickly turned into a goat trail hike dive at CTC. Conditions topside were excellent, with only a moderate push hitting the point. After traversing down the hill and making the swim out we decided to try a new dive pattern. The plan was to head southwest past the point towards Neptunes Cove, then double back North parallel with shore and back 30 degrees into the cove. Unfortunately this dive pattern resulted in mediocre reefs and little life to photograph. On the way back into shore we encountered some interesting structure with nesting Garibaldi, Spanish Shawls, Dorids and a few Big Boy Sheephead. But by that time air was running low so I had to resist stopping to take some shots. Visibility was also strangely low for CTC, averaging only 10ft at depth and a maximum of 15ft in the shallows. Despite the mediocre conditions and sparse marine life encounters, it was still nice to get wet. Here are a few shots I could salvage:
Rockfish-6.jpg

WhiteSponge.jpg

DoridOrgy.jpg

NoblisIndividual.jpg

The Doriopsillas look like they're melting. Great shots. My favorite reef at CTC is the wall with a small cavern and lots of overhangs directly offshore from the point. It's a LONG swim, but if you're willing to hike up and down that trail...
Christmas%20Tree%20Cove%20copy.jpg

My favorite reef at CTC is the wall with a small cavern and lots of overhangs directly offshore from the point.

My favorite as well. All the mini walls, overhangs and crevices are the perfect place for critters to congregate. On one dive there, Military Bob found a huge Lingcod stuffed into a hole. He was facing straight out with a bunch of shrimp surrounding him. Much like a Moray Eel. Of course it was one of the dives I decided not to bring a camera! We should have stuck with what we knew was a good reef, but Charlie was feeling adventurous. :idk:

Well, sometimes it's nice to go exploring, even if you only find out where you don't want to go again!

Love the third picture -- as Max said, the slugs look like like candles left in the sun!

Well, sometimes it's nice to go exploring, even if you only find out where you don't want to go again!

Love the third picture -- as Max said, the slugs look like like candles left in the sun!

Completely agree. The enjoyment of venturing into the unknown is a big part of why I first got into scuba diving. It just takes sooo much effort to reach Christmas Tree Cove's reefs by shore and to do all that in the summer heat, only to see a few critters and sand..... well it can be a bummer:( Live and learn.
CharlieHikeUp3.jpg

CharlieAfterDive7.jpg

CharlieHikeUp1.jpg

CharlieAfterDive4.jpg

CharlieAboveCliff2.jpg

Thanks for the report and pictures. I have been up and down that trail so many times. Last time I got to the bottom, hiked out over the boulders to the sand spit and discovered I had forgot my fins.
Just getting to old for that.
Oh and thanks for the map Max.

Last time I got to the bottom, hiked out over the boulders to the sand spit and discovered I had forgot my fins.

I forgot my mask once. Needless to say it wasn't fun taking off all my gear and heading back up to fetch it. :banghead:

Still better then forgetting fins on a kayak dive mission at Neptune's Cove. My buddy did that last summer. Entry was at Marineland, so heading back wasn't really an option.

We left Merry's reg hanging in the garage once while making an afternoon dive at Marineland. I told her we could either go home or take turns solo diving. She told me to just dive. While I was down, Frank came out of the water and told Merry what nice conditions she was missing, as did a couple of snorkellers later. By the time I got out she was fuming. I didn't want to tell her about my dive but she insisted. She asked if I saw a giant sea bass. I put my head down and sheepishly said...two. :depressed:
She was not a happy camper that day.

Last edited:
Nice shots Frank. I like the second pic of the white sponge. I took a similar shot at Buchanon's last weekend and can't find the name in Gotshall. Anyone know the name of this sponge?

I have not dived CTC in years. Avalanche is fun though I remember it as a little barren. I was not a critter hunter in those days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom