Chuuk/Truk Liveaboard vs. land based 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texmaxdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi fellow divers,

We are planning to head to Chuuk in a few months and had been planning on staying/diving on the Thorfinn. Our trip coordinator came back to us today and said that due to recent complaints and safety concerns, they recommended we stay and dive elsewhere.

Has anyone here had any experience on this liveaboard? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Alternately, would love to hear recent recommendations for land based diving.

TIA,

MM

Hi fellow divers,

We are planning to head to Chuuk in a few months and had been planning on staying/diving on the Thorfinn. Our trip coordinator came back to us today and said that due to recent complaints and safety concerns, they recommended we stay and dive elsewhere.

Has anyone here had any experience on this liveaboard? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Alternately, would love to hear recent recommendations for land based diving.

TIA,

MM

Maybe search SB for reports on this boat?

Maybe search SB for reports on this boat?
Yep yep, appreciate that. The key word I was looking for was recent, primarily post covid. Lots of stuff from pre-covid. Lots of things have changed in the last 4-5 years.
Cheers

why on earth would you spend like 30 hours flying to the middle of the pacific ocean just to cheap out with the thorfinn? its not like its a different boat than before and there is only so much lipstick you can put on a pig. the odyssey is the all inclusive option or if you aren't looking to min max and want something more a la carte, the truk master offers that.

As someone that has spent a lot of time in Truk if you are doing the Thorfinn you would be much better served and a lot more comfortable going land based at the Blue Lagoon. Hands down this is the better option.

As someone that has spent a lot of time in Truk if you are doing the Thorfinn you would be much better served and a lot more comfortable going land based at the Blue Lagoon. Hands down this is the better option.
Blue lagoon will save you thousands and your room is less likely to sink.

I don’t think the Thorfinn has moved in years, unless something has changed.

You have four options for Truk Lagoon, two are land based, and two are live-a-board based:

1. Blue Lagoon - former sea plane base, now hotel.
2. Truk Stop Hotel - in Weno
3. Odyssey
4. Truk Master

I have done 1. once and 3. twice. Would recommend either.

Now you may be going to Truk for the wrecks but one dive that I highly recommend is the shark cleaning station which I believe only Blue Lagoon can do. Put on a little Car Wash by Rose Royce, plunk down in the sand and watch the action.

You have probably already found them, but there are a couple of 2023 TripAdvisor reviews on the Blue Lagoon Resort. Seems like it is still doing OK post pandemic. (I stayed there and it was fine, but it was 20+ years ago so my opinion is clearly not to be relied upon 😀 ).

This has been extremely valuable feedback. Thanks to everyone's input and additional research, we have made some big changes to our itinerary. It's our first time to Chuuk/Truk so having first hand advice has been very helpful. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.

This has been extremely valuable feedback. Thanks to everyone's input and additional research, we have made some big changes to our itinerary. It's our first time to Chuuk/Truk so having first hand advice has been very helpful. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.
Hi, I'm also planning on a dive trip there very soon. I would be interested if you could give us a trip report or an update on your experience. Thanks so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom