Chuuk/Truk Liveaboard vs. land based 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We run a trip to Truk at least once a year. Here are some details

We still have 3-4 spots left on this coming trip. Mainly all CCR divers about 6 hours of in water time per day across 2 dives.

My wife and I have only been to Chuuk Lagoon once in April 2018, and we stayed on the Odyssey Liveaboard. We did spend a few days at the Blue Lagoon to acclimatize and provide a buffer if we ran into any travel issues. We loved staying on the Odyssey and diving from the ship. We had Mike Gerken as the captain, and we received a highly informative history lesson about each site. We plan to return to Chuuk and will be staying on the Odyssey again.

Stayed at Blue Lagoon 5 yrs ago for a couple days before Oddessey. Its a dump.

I stayed on the Thorfinn, more than 25 years ago. The diving was great, the vessel had issues even back then.

I am looking to go back and would like to know if anyone has done the deeper Tech wrecks with the Dirty Dozen ?

Stayed at Blue Lagoon 5 yrs ago for a couple days before Oddessey. Its a dump.
Just got back last week and stayed at BLR. Room had all been upgraded during COVID, but as usual, the tropics are already taking a toll. Air conditioning in the rooms works very well, almost too good, and they were in the middle of upgrading wifi coverage out to the rooms while we were there.

Hi, I'm also planning on a dive trip there very soon. I would be interested if you could give us a trip report or an update on your experience. Thanks so much.

Ditto for me. It's March 2024 and I cannot find any updated info on Thorfinn beyond this one. But the stories I've heard from the recent past are making me want to avoid this place.

I didn't think the Thorfinn was still running. Even if it is, I would avoid at all costs (I have done 6 trips to Chuuk).

Back
Top Bottom