Clean with Toothpaste or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammerhead45:
water and baby shampoo!!!! does that work as a defog????
Works like a charm.

cldSCUBA:
Great Idea (shark.byte.usa) on spraying down before jumping into wet suit.
I can't take credit, I saw Pasley doing it on a dive boat out in Catalina, but works very well, especially with a new suit.

shark.byte.usa:
Works like a charm.

I can't take credit, I saw Pasley doing it on a dive boat out in Catalina, but works very well, especially with a new suit.

Pasley uses water and cheap hair conditioner in a spray bottle. Sprays the inside of the suit and squeezes in. I'll be trying that tonight.

You're using the toothpaste to remove the releasing agent that is applied to the lens to protect it while it's being manufactured. To remove the releasing agent you need some type of mild abrasive, a liquid soap generally doesn't have any abrasive in it so it won't typically remove the releasing agent. That's why we use toothpaste (paste, not gel) or a mask scrub (which is specially formulated to remove the releasing agent). If you have problems with fogging later (you won't typically have fogging while you're doing frequent mask flood/removals), it may be because you didn't get all of the releasing agent off the lenses.

Baby shampoo can work but it is still an eye irritant if it gets in your eyes when you're diving because it changes the PH and it will become uncomfortable. I use the 500 PSI commercial mask defog because it's a non-eye irritant and it works extremely well, and my dives are worth a $5.99 bottle of defog that will last a year. We don't use spit because Silicone has pores to it and bacteria in spit can form an algea that cannot be scrubbed from the mask. Plus it's the year 2006 and spitting in your mask is not socially acceptable...

Britt
CrazyScuba.com

CrazyScuba:
Baby shampoo can work but it is still an eye irritant if it gets in your eyes when you're diving because it changes the PH and it will become uncomfortable.

It does work, and I've done over 200 dives using it without ever irrititating my eyes, not even once. If it's safe enough for a baby's eyes, I think mine can handle it :wink:

CrazyScuba:
I use the 500 PSI commercial mask defog because it's a non-eye irritant and it works extremely well, and my dives are worth a $5.99 bottle of defog that will last a year.

Britt
CrazyScuba.com

It's all about whatever works for you, and what you're comfortable with. I pay 99¢ a bottle for mine, and it'll last at least a couple of years. Plus it works at least as well, if not better than the commercial type. Properly applied, one application will last all day.

As I said, though, use whatever you're comfortable with. It's your mask and your dive, make it easy so that you enjoy it.

Firefyter:
It does work, and I've done over 200 dives using it without ever irrititating my eyes, not even once. If it's safe enough for a baby's eyes, I think mine can handle it :wink:

Well, we just know that you Fire Fighter types are much tougher than the rest of us...:wink:

I used toothpaste on all of my 3 masks and it worked find. No problemo. I use Seavision defog now because the paste kinds make my face turn red...I'm sensitive ya know! :blinking:

I don't use spit because I don't want bacteria building up in my mask. I also don't want my mask to turn funny colors. Of course I don't have to worry about that with my black mask, just my clear ones. :D

Have a great time in class!

CrazyScuba:
Well, we just know that you Fire Fighter types are much tougher than the rest of us...:wink:

Naah...we're just overgrown babies...that's why we use baby shampoo.....LOL. :D

Back in the good old days, we used to wear panty-hose to get our wet suits on easily, but now I use a Joy and water mix. Wetsuits go on great and they always smell so good. As for as the mask goes, I have never used it for antifogging but the baby shampoo sounds like a good idea, much better than spit!!!

Firefyter:
Naah...we're just overgrown babies...that's why we use baby shampoo.....LOL. :D

Hey! Watch it! My Cuz'n is a Fire Fighter...well, you're right, he is a big baby. :D Love em just the same!

Hey Fyter, LOVE your tag line...
I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed psychiatrist is our "friend."

Hahahahahahahaa roflmao...:lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom