Clear or black...what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like clear it is my favorite color. :D But they will turn yellow.

I have 1 clear and 2 black Atomics. The clear hasn't been out of the box is 2+ years.

well good sell me a black one cheap :wink: LOL. Damn shop is out of stock and I leave in less then 2 weeks. Dang them!

Black.
The mask is low profile enough, that you would gain nothing in periferal vision even if the skirt was truely clear. In fact, ambient light splashing into the mask from the skirt is actually detrimental with photograqphy and low light conditions. (when your face is pressed against a window you want to look through, you cup your haqnds around your eyes don't you?

Besides people really look like kooks with their facial features all smashed up in a clear skirt; especially with a nice green booger sloping around the nose pocket. Besides, clear skirts age (yellowing) poorly as well.

Just my humble opinion.

In general, black is recommended for photographers, spearfishermen and people with light-colored eyes, especially in clear water. None of the above normally apply to me. I use an Atomic Aquatics Frameless clear in our (Monterey/Carmel) typically green water, and like it. Using the right de-fog, the silicone has yellowed very slightly in two years, although wearing it in a chlorine pool seems to fix that problem. The de-fog I was using on my first frameless (fed to the surf gods at Monastery beach) did yellow somewhat, because I was using a different de-fog and sometimes neglected to rinse the mask at the end of the day/weekend.

The silicone in the Atomic is so clear that you do get a significant amount of peripheral vision, which I find makes keeping track of my buddy easier. It also leads to an occasional spike in pulse and respiration, when a teen sea lion decides to dart at me from the side and it takes me a moment to ID them:wink:

I've got a Scubapro frameless (black) for backup and don't like it as much, but that's as much about the mask as the color of the skirt.

Guy

If I were the photographer / user, I would go with black. Less reflections and distractions. It is like when you look into a dark shop window on a bright sunny day. You will want to cup your hands around your face to see clearly into the shop. The black mask kinda does this for you already. The Clear will let the stray light in.

On my model I would want the clear mask so the eyes are better illuminated in the photos.

In the end color is not as important as fit. So prioritize fit over color and aesthetics.

Yup black is def what I am wanting...now I just need to find a place with the killer price who has it in stock NOW. I found an ebay store that has them for 71.99 but they only have the clear in either size or the black in the med size. Waiting to see how long till they have stanrdard size black in stock. Leisure pro wants 100.00. So if possible I would rather save 30 bucks.

I don't buy into the yellowing. I've had my mask for a year and half and the skirt is still clear. I don't leave it laying around in the direct sun and I rinse it after diving. I take lots of pictures, dive in cold, dark water most of the time and clear blue water whenever we vacation. My next mask will probably have a clear skirt too.

I may need to buy the clear one since the shop only has clear in stock...we will see what happens. gotta make a choice soon

My clear skirt did turn yellow and it's hard to stay out of the bright sun light here in S. FL.

It did take a few years for this to happen and after being out in bright sun light pool diving, and bright sun light salt water diving it will happen to your's too.

Did I mention that it's really sunny in S. FL. :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom